Rabbit wont lay in nesting box...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newrabbit

Reaction score
I have two does that had a perfect first litter. Now on there second litter they both built a great nest in box and layed on wire. Any suggestions would be great.

Nope kindled 12 all over cage. No survivors. Happened with two rabbits on there second litter after they had good first litters. Wondering why they stopped using nesting boxes

Did they kindle within a short time of each other? If so, they may have been frightened by something that caused the change in behaviour. But you know . . . anything we suggest as a possible cause is no more than a guess. We often never find out the why of rabbit behaviour.

Very odd. Where are the cages located? In a shed or outdoors? You don't give us much detail to go on.

The only thing I can think of is that the rabbits are being harassed by some other critter(s). Even in an otherwise secure shed, rats can make their lives miserable.

1. because sometimes rabbits are well.. Rabbits. Prey animals are easily frightened (it's part of what keeps them alive).
2. you cleaned the box with something that is toxic to rabbits and they don't like the smell of the box.
3. glitches in their brain. Yes, it can happen with two does.

I am gonna bring them inside to kindle then put back out a few days later. Is that a bad idea? <br /><br /> -- Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:50 pm -- <br /><br /> So I brought doe inside she kindled 9 in cage in the basement. Everything looks good, how soon can I put them back outside the temps are gonna be in the teens

I would give them a week to get adjusted, -- whatever was scaring the does, is probably still out there.. When you put them out make sure they have lots of dry bedding material, and a very good cover of mom"s fur.. If you have rats, the young are most susceptible to attack in the first week.

If possible, I'd keep them inside until their eyes are well opened. They are a lot less vulnerable once they can see. I'd also provide a step at the low end of the nest box so that they can easily get back into the box. Helps prevent chilling . . . There is a space of time where they can get out of the box more easily than they can get back in.

Try to put them back outside during a spell of mild weather. It makes the transition easier.

Back