Rabbit wont drink

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think switching off a lettuce diet quickly would cause any harm so long as water is available. Rabbits aren't going to kill themselves just to get some lettuce and if it's a bowl instead of a bottle they don't have to learn how to use it. Unless you really research what you are doing a good pellet and hay should be the main part of the diet. A *good* pellet. Not petstore sugary junk. Nutrena puts out relatively small bags of pellets at feed stores but even if you buy and waste a portion of a 50lb feedstore bag it will not be as expensive as the little pet store bags. Same with hay. The wildlife will enjoy your excess (sometimes we would throw slices of alfalfa out to the wild rabbits in winter) and think how much people often spend buying specific food for wildlife. Most who buy from pet stores will only trust a handful of brands like oxbow.

Fresh foods are a bit of a debate. While the pet only oriented sites are big on store bought veggies more people who feed fresh foods here prefer wild forages. Rabbits did not evolve to eat fruits and vegetables that humans do. Grocery store stuff aside from herbs and some leafy greens are higher water, higher sugar, less fiber, and less other useful nutrients than forages. Wild rabbits browse on bushes, vines (they love berry canes), edible wildflowers, some grass but much of it older and tougher than well mowed yard grass, etc... Things that are more dense. You can find many things in the stickies of the nutrition section. For all those reasons many believe high water vegetables humans eat are better as treats and the diet should be higher in fiber. Not that properly done a rabbit can't adjust to those diets but there is less risk of digestive upset that is a major cause of death in herbivores like rabbits.

I've been wondering...

I've seen people mention feeding blackberry stems and such to rabbits... what about the thorns? I've seen the occasional piece of brier in my grass hay, I discard it. Can they eat that stuff??

:yeahthat:

Rabbits don't seem to be unduly bothered by blackberry thorns. With mine, if the thorns are really brutal, I take the pruning shears and run them along the stems to knock the worst of the thorns off. The smaller spines on raspberry canes are no problem at all. There is a kind of thistle that Miss M feeds that has sharp spines, but the rabbits seem to have no problem with them either.

Dood":u8bz2nz7 said:
They love it

I have tons of wild roses in my area and pilfer cuttings for my bunnies and they gnaw on the branches thorns and all

Funnies actually asked something I was wondering... is it safe to give them the flowers as well? Or just the branches?

We have 'multiflora roses' in our back yard. I would feel a certain sense of pleasure feeding some of that to the rabbits. :evil:

Coco actually sneaked on me once and grabbed a few rose leaves, and she's eaten some of the rose petals before (several weeks ago, actually :lol:) I wasn't sure if that was good or not, but yeah

Zass":2788t3nw said:
Multiflora rose is safe for rabbits(and humans.)

All parts of a rose plant is safe. Just make sure they have not been sprayed with pesticides.

Okay! Thanks, Zass! :lol:
Let's see if Coco pulls thru this ear-thingy first :|

Back