Rabbit with nasty eye wound

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Hey, ya'll!
Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Life has been crazy busy. Well, I'll just cut to the chase.
My best show rabbit (of course) has a mysterious eye wound. It's right above the eye, dangerously close to her eyeball; however, I don't think there's any damage to her actual eye, just a flesh wound. I don't think it's a super bad wound, it just looks nasty. I have been treating it with A&D cream and it looks a little better today (I started the cream saturday when I noticed the wound after being on vacation) but I was wondering if anyone knows of anything that would work better?

BIRCH – Chewing, pain relief, anti-inflammatory, diuretic.
**CHAMOMILE – Pain relief, calm nervous rabbit, one of the best eye wash for weepy eye Chamomile tea and honey!!!!! Just make a cup of tea, a little stronger than you would drink it and add a teaspoon of honey. I use an old syringe w/o the needle to squirt into the eye. You can also use as a compress and as a wipe for the eye. It will work wonders. Both chamomile and honey are anti-everything! microbial, fungal, and with antibiotic properties. Let the rabbit eat some before you treat for eye problems because of its pain relief and calming effects will make the rabbit easier to handle**
**CHICKWEED – Anti-inflammatory, healing of cuts, molt**
ECHINACEA -Immune system stimulant and broad spectrum antibiotic. In the lower doses it’s the stimulant and in higher doses acts as an antibiotic. Anti-inflammatory with anti-viral properties. It can be grown in nearly every backyard and easily available at most health food stores. Echinacea is a great preventive herb to use for your rabbits. I feed a few leaves every now a then to my rabbits daily greens mix to boost the immune system and fight infection. Research has shown that echinacea increases production of interferon in the body. It is antiseptic and antimicrobial, with properties that act to increase the number of white blood cells available to destroy bacteria and slow the spread of infection. It is also a great herb to dry and add to your winter hay blend! You can also get the capsules at heath food stores add 4 capsules of the echinacea to one gallon of water and boil and cool store in fridge and add 1/4 herb water to 3/4 water and fill water bottles, crocks, etc.
GARLIC – Immunize against disease, antiseptic, antibiotic, bloating and gas, wormer, respiratory expectorant. This stuff works it is just hard to get a rabbit to eat it!
LEMON BALM – Anti-bacterial, antiviral, bloating and gas, diarrhea, reduce stress
NASTURTIUM – Strongly antiseptic.
https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/0 ... r-rabbits/
I hope this helps :)

Yes, that definitely helps! We have all-natural chamomile tea so I brewed a cup of that and soaked the wound for 2 minutes, dried it, then put some A&D cream on it, since that seems to work. I also gave her some birch bark to chew on. So we'll see how she's doing by tomorrow. If her eye is somewhat healed by Saturday, do you think I could still take her to the fair or do you think I will get in trouble for having an unsound rabbit?
Thanks!

The chamomile and a&d cream has been working WONDERS. The scab is peeling off and there is pink skin underneath. If the scan is gone and there is only a small bald spot, then can I show her? She's almost there. And I still have until Monday.

I looked this back up, what happened to this bunny? It healed fine? I am going to try and do the chamomile tea wash for mine, and see if that will help.

Back