rabbit with flakes or scales inside top of ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanthin1

Reaction score
ethel2.JPGHi, I have raised satin meat rabbits for about two years. We live in a very remote area (nearest rabbit vet a three hour drive), so I am mostly on my own. I have dealt with ear mites before (mineral oil clears these up easy), and have had one rabbit with fur mites a few months ago which I finally got to go away with a pea size of apple flavored ivermectin (DE and 3 rounds of revolution did not work). This is something new I have not seen before. This doe is only about 5 mos old, she was separated from her litter mates about 3 weeks ago. We kept a buck from that litter also and he shows no signs of the same ear problem. The flakes are only in the top of the inside of her ears, although she does have some flakes on the fur on her sides. Could this be fur mites? The buck we had with fur mites a few months ago only had them along his back, not in his ears.

Glad to have you with us, xanthin1. :welcome:

Whether the problem is fur mites, ear mites or just scaly skin, I would give it a good coating of mineral oil or olive oil. It should loosen the scales and suffocate any little nasties lurking there.

Welcome to RT!

I had a quick reply earlier, but figured I would add a bit to it :oops:

Do you have a salt/mineral lick in the cage? It could be some residue from something like that. Or even fungal maybe?

I don't have a salt lick, so it can't be that. I thought it looked like it could be fungal I've just never heard of anything like that in rabbits. It has been really rainy here (Oregon coast), but she is the only one with it. I covered her ears in mineral oil and will do my normal regiment (3x3) and see how it responds, it is just so odd, I thought I would post it and see if anyone else had ever seen something like it.

Back