Register

Rabbit tractors/pasture pens

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,912.00

Rabbit tractors/pasture pens

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ollitos » Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 pm

I would love to see pictures of other people's rabbit tractors/pasture pens.

I've posted mine before, but I'll start it off.

Inside the hutch

Low pressure waterer, bucket on top

Pen base during construction

Roof framing sitting on top of the pen base

Roof propped open

Today, Greg finished making a duplex. Same pen but divided down the middle to hold two does. The hutches were deeper to accommodate the nesting boxes. I don't have any pics but I'll try to take some in the morning.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 22,550.00

Re: Rabbit tractors/pasture pens

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Secuono » Fri May 18, 2012 7:00 am

...Yea, I still need to either got off my cheap *ss and build one of these things right or pay someone to make me them. But to hire someone would cost soooooo much....ugh...They just look so much nicer w/the wood and all...

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby grumpy » Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 am

You've got a nice wire apron on the inside to keep the rabbits from digging out.

What about an apron on the outside to keep a predator from digging in?

Grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,815.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ohiogoatgirl » Fri May 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Can I get back all that spare time I used to have?

https://www.instagram.com/girlwalkswithgoats/

BunnyBucks: 931.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby wsmoak » Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 pm

ollitos, that looks great! It also looks like it would work to isolate a broody hen while she sits on eggs. Definitely will have to put one of those on the project list.

What are the dimensions of the one in the picture? Maybe... 4x8 feet or is it smaller?

-Wendy

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,912.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby ollitos » Sun May 20, 2012 8:39 pm

Grumpy - I read your post to chickiesnbunnies about predators and it really had me thinking a lot about predators. You are 100% right that given time, anyone with outdoor rabbits is going to face a slaughter. Right now we don't have the exterior skirts but we'll be adding them. Your post really got me thinking. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Wendy - They're about 4x6.

Here's the one Greg finished last week. The hutch is deeper to accommodate the nesting box turned the opposite direction as in the original pens. This one also has metal roofing since it's all we had on hand. We try to use recycled wood and materials as much as possible.

Anyone else want to share pics??