Rabbit showing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey0246

Reaction score
I am looking for all the information I can get me hands on! I have never shown, and some tips would be great! Tips on Dwarf Hotot and Holland Lops would be even better. Every single answer is appreciated. Remember, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SHOWING! I need to know everything!!
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
:all-ears:

Best thing is just to start attending shows. If you're in the USA, the 4H small animal shows will be starting soon, so you can look for those. 4H organizations also usually have show info posted on their sites about animal shows, judging sheets, etc. Your state fair will have a show handbook as well. And then, there are the ARBA shows. That's where the really crazy pro rabbit people go to show.

That's the best way to jump in with both feet, IMO.

First, you can find show information by going to https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch
You can search by date and location to find something near-ish you. There is only 1 show within a thirty minute drive of me, the rest are 2+ hours. Depending on where you live, you may have nearby shows or you may have to drive to get there.

Sometimes the show catalog is available online, sometimes you need to call or email the show secretary (that info should be given in the link above when you search) to have one sent to you. The catalog will tell you the date, time, and location of the show. It also has information about show rules, vendors who will be there, judges, and more.

Like SoDak Thriver said, it's easier to just jump and learn as you go. Most show people are very friendly and willing to help you out. So, you will need to determine which of your rabbits you plan on showing. Dwarf Hotots are a marked breed, meaning they need specific markings (the eyeliner mostly) in order to be shown. In many areas they are not that common so you may or may not have much competition. Holland Lops are insanely popular almost everywhere. If you're unfamiliar with what the Standard calls for in either of your breeds, ask your fellow exhibitors. Like I said, most people are willing to help newbies out.

Once you decide which rabbits to show, be sure they each have an individual tattoo in the left ear. Submit your entry to the show secretary (usually by email). If you aren't sure what all to include, ask.

Then, gather your supplies. Some basic supplies you'll need is a leak-proof carrier for each rabbit, water/food bowls for each carrier (often smaller than what you have at home since there will be limited space), a folding chair for yourself, and basic grooming tools (nail clippers, brush, etc). If you are planning to sell rabbits, make sure you take the pedigrees for those rabbits.

Arrive at least 20 minutes early on the morning of the show. You will need to find the check in table and pay for your entry fee. After that, find a clear spot and set up your carriers and chairs. You'll wait for your breed to be called to a certain table. There, the judge will evaluate each rabbit and compare it to the breed standard.

That is the very basics to get you started. Once again, most people are very friendly and can help you out. The first show I attended I entered a rabbit. It's the best way to learn, I think. For your first show, I would suggest entering just a few rabbits of just one breed. Sometimes both of your breeds are called up to be judged at the same time and that makes it difficult.

Find some one at a show who shows your breed and is welling to help. That. Is. PRICELESS. I just started showing, and found a lady who was immensely helpful!

Also groom your rabbits at the show. I didn't at my first show, but basically everyone else does, so probably is a good idea :)

AprilW":1gkv0pg8 said:
First, you can find show information by going to https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch
You can search by date and location to find something near-ish you. There is only 1 show within a thirty minute drive of me, the rest are 2+ hours. Depending on where you live, you may have nearby shows or you may have to drive to get there.

Sometimes the show catalog is available online, sometimes you need to call or email the show secretary (that info should be given in the link above when you search) to have one sent to you. The catalog will tell you the date, time, and location of the show. It also has information about show rules, vendors who will be there, judges, and more.

Like SoDak Thriver said, it's easier to just jump and learn as you go. Most show people are very friendly and willing to help you out. So, you will need to determine which of your rabbits you plan on showing. Dwarf Hotots are a marked breed, meaning they need specific markings (the eyeliner mostly) in order to be shown. In many areas they are not that common so you may or may not have much competition. Holland Lops are insanely popular almost everywhere. If you're unfamiliar with what the Standard calls for in either of your breeds, ask your fellow exhibitors. Like I said, most people are willing to help newbies out.

Once you decide which rabbits to show, be sure they each have an individual tattoo in the left ear. Submit your entry to the show secretary (usually by email). If you aren't sure what all to include, ask.

Then, gather your supplies. Some basic supplies you'll need is a leak-proof carrier for each rabbit, water/food bowls for each carrier (often smaller than what you have at home since there will be limited space), a folding chair for yourself, and basic grooming tools (nail clippers, brush, etc). If you are planning to sell rabbits, make sure you take the pedigrees for those rabbits.

Arrive at least 20 minutes early on the morning of the show. You will need to find the check in table and pay for your entry fee. After that, find a clear spot and set up your carriers and chairs. You'll wait for your breed to be called to a certain table. There, the judge will evaluate each rabbit and compare it to the breed standard.

That is the very basics to get you started. Once again, most people are very friendly and can help you out. The first show I attended I entered a rabbit. It's the best way to learn, I think. For your first show, I would suggest entering just a few rabbits of just one breed. Sometimes both of your breeds are called up to be judged at the same time and that makes it difficult.

Thank you soooo much! I really appreciate it. I've been to a show to pick up a rabbit I was buying, and it was really confusing to me, so I thought I'd ask around because I really would like to show my rabbits!!! I am more familiar with the Hotots than the Hollands. I literally just got ony holland lops, so I'm doing my research! Thank you again!!!

Since you're more familiar with the Dwarf Hotots, I would suggest showing them your first time out. The crowd for DH judging is likely to be smaller and you can ask questions more easily. If you attend a smaller or slower paced show, many judges are happy to let a newbie come behind the judging table and observe the process and even feel what makes a good animal.

If you have any other specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

AprilW gave you a great overview so I won't repeat everything she said. I will add a few things though. Some shows are early entry; you can save some money by sending your entries in by the early entry deadline. Some shows are day of entry so be prepared to enter once you arrive if that is the case. Be sure you know how the breeds/classes are announced. Depending on the show they may or may not have a sound system or a list posted of upcoming/current breeds. You may be able to find another exhibitor showing the same breed that will help you figure out when you are supposed to be at the table (and which one). If you don' already have a current Standard of Perfection published by the ARBA, I would recommend purchasing one from a vendor at the show. It is cheaper than paying shipping from ARBA.

A lot of new exhibitors are confused by sanctions. If a show is ARBA sanctioned, that means a fee has been paid to the ARBA and the ARBA show rules are being followed and licensed ARBA judges are hired to judge the show. Animals may earn legs towards Grand Champion status and Best in Show certificates. In addition to ARBA sanctions, there may also be breeds that are sanctioned. For breeds that are sanctioned with their specialty clubs, those exhibitors may earn points towards their breed's sweepstakes awards, if they are members of the breed specialty club. Some people get confused when they see the list f sanctioned breeds and think only those breeds can be shown, but that isn't the case; all breeds can be shown, the non sanctioned breeds just won't get specialty points.

Joey, you may get more comments if you have specific questions. :)

Look for Rabbit clubs in your area, and really reputable breeders that attend lots of shows. We found a great one, who doesn't have kids and is very willing and able to help everybody in our area. Sometimes you will find that folks are only helpful to an extent, because they don't want to help the competition too much. Just be prepared that it can be this way in some areas, but keep looking for those people who like to share what they do and really take advantage of their experience:) 4-H is a great way to get good experience and information. See what your local extension office has to offer as well......might help us if we new where you were located too, some breeders on here may be able to direct you to some good info/people if we know the area.

Latest posts

Back