Rabbit seed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy Lane

Reaction score
I am building my rabbit colony in a few days/week or so. It will have an open floor, (on the ground) I am thinking about seeding it. Should I or is this a waste, it has grass growing now. Thanks! :)

A waste

They will mow it down to dirt within a year or sooner if there are several bunnies.

I highly recommend you put down a heavy gage wire over the grass so they cannot dig out.

Dood beat me to it, lol!

Unless it is an enormous area or you can subdivide it for rotational grazing, they are going to eat it down to the dirt in no time. You might be better off planting feeds in pots that can be removed before they are completely consumed.

This is a list of safe plants and weeds that you may want to consult for ideas:

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

I would also recommend that you put either 2" x 4" welded wire or chain link fencing on the ground to prevent them from burrowing out.

I was going to say the same.

I moved my mines in for the winter, but I will seed the space before I put them back. It only took them a month or so to reduce it to a barren patch of dirt.

If they don't eat it they'll excavate it. Rabbits love to dig. You'll have potholes and tunnel systems over 8' long if you don't protect the ground. Mine even went through compacted aglime after chewing a hole in the middle of a sheet of plywood.

Back