Rabbit scared of new home

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I couldn't figure out where to post this so hopefully this is okay. I have been looking online and haven't really been able to find an answer so I'm hoping you guys can help. I recently moved from my home town to a very large city for work and my rabbit has been on edge ever since. This isn't the first time she has had to deal with a move (I moved into an apartment for a year for College and than moved her back home after) and she has always been fine before. However, this time she is very on edge and refuses to leave her cage. She's eating, drinking, pooing, peeing, enjoying her rare treats, and still loves to be petted. So, I know she's not sick, but she won't leave the cage (it's been 4 weeks now) and she seems to get scared much easier than she normally would. Is there a way that I can make her more comfortable? I'm wondering if maybe there is a smell or a noise that I'm not catching that may be causing a problem.

At this point I'm almost ready to just take her back to my dad's because she loves it there and I want her to be happy, but I obviously also would like to be able to keep her with me. If anyone can help that would be great.

Also, I leave her cage door open from the moment I get home from work until I sleep, and pretty much all weekend so she's being given lots of time to explore if she wants it.

She will adjust. Sometimes it takes animals a few months to get used to a new place if they are of a more nervous personality or you move them to somewhere with more sounds. You may not notice the traffic as much as she does. You can try covering half the cage to make her feel more protected.

Hi Millie!

:hi: to RabbitTalk! :D

Millie":9xplyp0m said:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I couldn't figure out where to post this so hopefully this is okay.

I think it would do better in the Behavioral Issues forum, so will move it there for you. :)

Millie":9xplyp0m said:
Is there a way that I can make her more comfortable?

The only thing I can think of is to maybe play soothing music for her or use one of those- um- sound machine thingys that have recordings of the surf or birdsong or whatever.

You might also move her to a smaller room if she is in a big open area. Perhaps there is too much space for her to be comfortable exploring.

Have you tried taking her out and sitting with her somewhere? Maybe if you could get her to relax on your lap she would venture off and explore a bit.

I hope she adjusts soon. You obviously love her very much, and it would be a pity to have to take her back to your dad's.

Good luck! :good-luck:

MamaSheepdog":orpkrvbg said:
The only thing I can think of is to maybe play soothing music for her or use one of those- um- sound machine thingys that have recordings of the surf or birdsong or whatever.
Or a radio tuned to classical, smooth jazz, or easy listening... even talk.

I think she can learn to be happy there. :) She just needs time and patience, and maybe a nudge, like MamaSheepdog suggested... taking her out on your lap, maybe with some bunny-safe toys around, hoping she'll start exploring.

Covering part of her cage, like Akane suggested, might also be a huge help.

Thanks for the replies. I have already tried taking her out of the cage and fur flew. She is okay when I take her out and hold her in my arms, but if I put her down she runs for the cage again. I'm just not used to her taking this long. She's usually a very affectionate rabbit who adjusts well. I will see about finding some noises she may enjoy more. Unfortunately I live in a bachelor apartment so there is no option of moving her to a smaller room, but I will maybe try creating a smaller run area for her and see if that makes her more comfortable. Thanks again, everyone.

You're welcome! :) Remember, around here, you don't have a bunny unless you prove it with pictures! :p

A smaller run sounds like a good idea. Maybe even cover part of that, so she feels like she has a safe little cave to lurk in while she gets up the courage to come out. :) Once she's comfortable, you can enlarge the area or start uncovering it a teeny bit at a time.

Rabbits do not seem to want to be down on the floor when nervous. They prefer to start exploring on furniture first. Usually I let them wander the bed with an old falling apart quilt laid out while I use my computer until they start wanting to hop off the bed.

Back