Rabbit Rouladen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
German Rouladen are usually thin slices of beef rolled around sour pickle and mustard, onion and bacon. Browned, then braised, they are a good use for inexpensive cuts of beef. I use large belly flaps from old, tough rabbits.

This is my version using the rabbit belly flaps

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

Rabbit belly flaps, pounded thin
Dijon mustard
gherkins, cut in 1/4s
diced onion
bacon, cut to the width of the flaps
Butter or oil
Diced carrot
diced celery
dry white wine
Bay leaf
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley for garnish
Preparation:

Pound the belly flaps with a meat hammer until they are wide, thin and flat.

Spread each slice with mustard, fill one end with some onion, 1 slice of pickle and a strip or two of bacon.

Roll up from the filled end and tie with string, or use tooth picks to fasten them together.

Melt the butter or oil in a saucepan or Dutch oven and brown the outside of the rouladen in it.

Remove the rouladen to a plate, add the carrot and celery and sauté for a few minutes, until soft. Place the beef rolls back on top of the vegetables, add a half cup of wine and a little water, to make about 1/2 inch of liquid in the pan.

Add the bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon of salt (depends on how salty the bacon is) and some grinds of pepper, cover and braise over low heat for two hours, or until rabbit is tender.

Remove beef roulades and keep warm. Puree sauce and thicken (optional) with a little flour or corn starch. Season to taste with more salt and pepper as needed. Place roulades back in sauce until serving time.

Serve with potatoes, German potato dumplings or "Spaetzle" noodles and red cabbage.

I don't see why not. You may have more liquid left so when you are ready to make the gravy you might want to reduce it a little first.

Back