Rabbit ramps in cages.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are rabbit ramps safe?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tarax

Reaction score
Are these really safe?
I just bought a new rabbit cage last night, its called Rabbit pet home by all living things.
Im setting it up this morning but it doesnt seem like the ramp is very safe and i dont want my little guy to hurt himself.
I thought it would be cool for him becauseits kind of like a new toy (in a way)
What do you guys think?
Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love Tara and Dexter <3

Attachments

• 18348_437381025617_525470617_10511811_377452_n.jpg
    18348_437381025617_525470617_10511811_377452_n.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6,435
I'm sorry, Tara, but I can't see the ramp in the picture so I can't comment on its probable safety. Some more detail might help.

Is this the cage you have?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=4470998

If so, I doubt your rabbit will need the ramp... He will just hop up onto the shelf. Removing the ramp will give him more space on the ground level.

MaggieJ":1p59lyi6 said:
I'm sorry, Tara, but I can't see the ramp in the picture so I can't comment on its probable safety. Some more detail might help.

Is this the cage you have?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=4470998

If so, I doubt your rabbit will need the ramp... He will just hop up onto the shelf. Removing the ramp will give him more space on the ground level.
Yes, that is the cage i bought.
I took the wheels off because i wasnt keen on the idea of it
I think im going to give him a few days to check out the ramp and see if he uses it or not.
I have a stand up cage that hes in right now and im hoping this cage will help him come out on his own.
Dexter is 5 years old and the lady neglected him so im trying to work with him on picking him up and eventually meeting my dog he only goes nose to nose to and gives the odd kiss.

If you've ever seen a rabbit racing around the house, leaping onto sofa's, racing over and under beds and around table legs just for fun you wouldn't worry too much. Like MaggieJ said, the ramp isn't really necessary and removing it will leave more room for the rabbit. One of mine had to be rehoused this week due to a sudden mood change in the rabbit she's always lived happily with. The only cage available had 2 upper floors and 2 ramps. I left the ramps in but within an hour she was sitting on the highest floor munching rose leaves happily. She simply leaped the space without using the ramps so I took them out. I would be concerned if the rabbit has a long, lean body type as it seems easier for them to get back injuries and horizontal running space is safer for them than vertical leaping/climbing space.

arachyd":1ugeo95h said:
If you've ever seen a rabbit racing around the house, leaping onto sofa's, racing over and under beds and around table legs just for fun you wouldn't worry too much. Like MaggieJ said, the ramp isn't really necessary and removing it will leave more room for the rabbit. One of mine had to be rehoused this week due to a sudden mood change in the rabbit she's always lived happily with. The only cage available had 2 upper floors and 2 ramps. I left the ramps in but within an hour she was sitting on the highest floor munching rose leaves happily. She simply leaped the space without using the ramps so I took them out. I would be concerned if the rabbit has a long, lean body type as it seems easier for them to get back injuries and horizontal running space is safer for them than vertical leaping/climbing space.
Im going to leave it in and see if it gets any use. My rabbit has only been out of his cage a few times, its a working process. Id like to get him out more for exercise. Ive noticed that when hes out of his cage before bed hes not getting excited and making noise while im sleeping trying to get my attention. Whe i roll over in bed he romps around and gets excited thinking im awake. As of now he doesnt like being picked up so its time to get my little guy out and active [:

Attachments

• 18348_433752050617_525470617_10488100_3196227_n.jpg
    18348_433752050617_525470617_10488100_3196227_n.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 6,411
Is that a solid floor on that cage or is the rabbit up on a wire floor?
I do not like those cages due to the solid floor.
Unless you are cleaning that cage daily the rabbit ends up
walking through it's own excrement which can easily
lead to diseases down the line in short time.
Oh well, it's only my opinion. One Man's Rose is another Man's Daisy.
I wish you all the luck with your new system.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":34djypag said:
Is that a solid floor on that cage or is the rabbit up on a wire floor?
I do not like those cages due to the solid floor.
Unless you are cleaning that cage daily the rabbit ends up
walking through it's own excrement which can easily
lead to diseases down the line in short time.
Oh well, it's only my opinion. One Man's Rose is another Man's Daisy.
I wish you all the luck with your new system.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:
The cage he is in for the picture is a solid floor.
The new one i bought him last night has the wire flooring, i do agree with him.
In that cage i found that often it would get on his toys and it was turning out to be a waste in money because you either had to use a animal friendly sanitiser or throw it out.

I am very glad you chose to get a cage with
the wire floor wire. This is the most healthy choice for raising/caring
for rabbits be they Pets Show rabbits or Meat producers.
The most important thing is keeping them healthy and safe!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :bouncy:

I have that cage too! My bunny doesnt use the ramp, she just slides on it. Took it out and she can jump onto the shelf. As for stepping in their business yeah it happens. I need to get a grate for her litterbox so she doesnt stand in it :( have to clean her cage daily >_>

Not dangerous but they probably won't use it and like mentioned it may not have enough traction. For guinea pigs I would buy the really really cheap polyester blankets that are like paper thin, cut them in strips, and stick them on with loops of duct tape. They'd be good for about a month and then I'd do another strip. A blanket lasted nearly a year that way for about $5. I don't know if bunnies would be more destructive of such things.

We have had that type of ramp and the rabbits never used them. They can easily snap off. I took them out since they didn't use them. I figured taking them out gave them a tiny bit more room since they were not using it.

Ramps are safe, but as stated by other members here, some rabbits just wont use them. I am glad, too, that you have him on a wire floor now... much better for the bun. Just make sure you place a towel or a bunny board in there for the bun to stand on so he can get relief from standing on the wire.

Latest posts

Back