rabbit meat prices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
$6.39 per pound. $6.99 per pound. cleaned whole rabbit $42. fresh whole rabbit $43.50, 3 pounds.
OH MY GOSH!!! :shock: these are prices from the internet, i've never seen rabbit meat for sale in a store before. how much is average for small rabbit raisers to sell their meat for? how much have you seen rabbit meat being sold for?

Whoa! We're all going to be rich! Who knew? LOL.

I want to start selling meat as well, but here in CA I think the only way to do it without being a licensed slaughtering facility is sell live and buyers can butcher on the spot. My friend raised a few turkeys one year, and a small group of us each bought one, and we had a communal slaughter at her place. We are 50 miles from town, so I don't know how many folks would be willing to make the trek. Maybe I should call the butcher that did our hogs and steer and see what they would charge to process the meat- I wonder if I pre-sold the buns to several buyers, then gutted, skinned, etc. and brought a bunch to town at once, and left it to the individuals to pay the butchering fees at pickup? (Our meat from them is packed in butcher paper marked "not for re-sale".)

Sure would be nice if the government would stay out of our business! All these regulations are an assault to our personal freedom.

Annette

yet another reason to love trading and gifting ;) someone gifts me fresh chicken eggs. i gift someone rabbit. they want to eat rabbit, i be a helpful citizen and show them what i know via butchering theirs for them, so they can know next time. :D hee hee.

what i was thinking for when i get rabbits is to sell live. if they don't know how (or just don't want to) i can show em or do it for em for a small fee. :D

I deffinatly aint gettin that kinda money unfortanately lol but as for butchering idk about other states but here I can either sell it labeled as pet food or i can sell a live animal and for a donation (my donation rate is 3 a head) i will be happy to do the cleaning its not illegal if i dont "sell" the butchered meat and well thats my loop hole

I know what I would have to do, and that is become a state licensed processing facility. HOWEVER, trying to get someone from the state board that does the inspections to call me back is impossible, so I gave up trying.

Last Christmas I sold them for $20 for a 4 pound fryer (12 weeks). 5-6 pound roasters (18-20 weeks) were $25. That includes Processing, with livers and kidneys, food-sealed and double packaged.
I sold out at that price, without doing any advertising, because I have a German Bakery I visit 2-3 times a week, and rabbit is a traditional Holiday dinner for them, and they tell all their friends.

I haven't thought about what I should sell them for this year since my feed prices have gone up 25-50%. I will probably raise it $5, or just barter for bakery credit =)

Live only sells about $5 here. There are few pure rabbits being sold for meat because even a very common breed demands a higher price tag for pet, show, or as someone else's breeding stock for meat. I don't know what is charged to butcher them since that is done under the table to avoid legal issues and I've never called anyone advertising to find out. Some states do exempt game meats even if domestically raised so things like deer and rabbit do not have any laws over butchering and selling the meat.

It's $7/lb here in the grocery store. I sell mine for $4/lb, fully processed with heart, lungs, liver and kidneys inside and vacuum sealed. I don't sell many but when I have some they're gone. I could probably sell as many as I can raise but it's not workable at the moment.

I didn't want to deal with the laws concerning selling butchered rabbits, so when a coworker of my uncle's asked what I would charge, I told him I would trade a cleaned rabbit for a chicken that was at least 4 pounds.

Rabbit in the grocery store here is ~$6 a pound.

ohiogoatgirl":17r5eau4 said:
$6.39 per pound. $6.99 per pound. cleaned whole rabbit $42. fresh whole rabbit $43.50, 3 pounds.
OH MY GOSH!!! :shock: these are prices from the internet, i've never seen rabbit meat for sale in a store before. how much is average for small rabbit raisers to sell their meat for? how much have you seen rabbit meat being sold for?
Not worth selling it here...with the license and regulations you need its easier to sell them as fryers and offer butchering as a free service when they get there. I sell cali kits for $15-$20 (no special stuff) and selling 2-3 will pay for all my feed for the 9-12 kits :p

Its amazing at the trade value of rabbits....my old man can see a herbalist because he enjoys rabbit meat and hadn't had any for 10+ years :p

$6 at the store, only saw it at a country store. Not much of a market here for rabbit meat in the city, rabbit are cute furry pets here...

I haven't actually looked in our local grocery store for rabbit meat, but on craigslist, they go for about $8 to $10 live. Before we got our rabbits, a couple of people we knew who raised them offered to sell them at $5 a lb.

I'm probably on the "cheap-end" of the spectrum. I sell processed rabbit for $3.80 per pound. I'm allowed 2000 processed rabbits per year to be sold to "end-consumers"....no wholesale for retail purposes. I don't advertise any longer.

Some of my finished stock go to the processor at nearly cost due to the increased feed prices over the past month or so. However....I've got a very good reptile market that pays $2.00 per pound live weight two to three times per month. One takes 24 head on each visit. He's very comfortable purchasing at this price because he's "never-had" any issues with the product he gets from me. Some of his snakes are valued at over $10,000.00 each. Extremely large reticulated pythons. He's captured the world (Guiness-Book) record on the longest snake in captivity. He's wanting to add more weight to the snake and I told him that rabbit is very low in fat content.

We've got some ideas on how to add more "fat" to the snake's diet.

grumpy.

I am actually just starting to sell to a snake owner in a near by town. We are going to try it for a couple months and see how it goes. He is agreeing to buy at least 4 per month, at $5/lb live weight. The rabbits will be in the 4-6wk range so around 2lbs each.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry,
it's a black drum. Fun to catch, but at that size, not very good to eat. It was released to make more edible size black drums.

Just saw a couple of people advertising on my local Craigslist for $2 and $2.50 a pound live weight.

(The $2 a pound guy will process for you and sell for $3 a pound in bags.)

So... $10 to $12.50 for a 5 lb rabbit.

I just processed two NZW's and got about 60% live-to-dressed ratio, which makes it $3.33 - 4.17 per pound bone-in.

-Wendy

Back