Rabbit manure

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgregoire687

Reaction score
We have started raising rabbits for meat. We currently keep the rabbits on the garage. The Manure is captured in a tray and weekly dumped in to a trash can. The trash can is about full. I hope to get redworms in the spring to assist with composting the manure. What should I do with the manure right now?

I live in coastal NH.

Could I start the redworms now?

Should I just dump the manure in the garden area?

Will the urine from the tray negatively affect the worms?

Any answers are appreciated.

Thanks

It's my understanding that you can't have much urine in the manure for worms, so it needs to be caught separately, as much as possible. Truckinguy actually soaks his rabbit manure for an hour or so to remove any incidental urine. Others don't, but I know too much urine is bad. :)

I think the cold would kill the redworms right now. If you know how long it takes to accumulate the amount of rabbit manure that you want for a start in the spring, you could certainly put what you have now (or some of it) on the garden. Starting the worm project in spring will be a lot easier, I would think.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will have to determine how to collect the manure, without mixing with the urine

Make a wire mesh pan that sits on top of the tray under the cages. The urine will fall thru to the pan and the droppings will be caught in the tray. Maybe 1/4" spacing on the wire mesh?

Back