Register

Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,473.00

Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Zass » Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Anyone try this?

I'm always trying to produce as much food of my own as I can, but in a quite limited space.
Mushrooms are still something that I buy frequently. I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase one of those little boxed mushroom growing kits yet. The prices just seem awfully high for a cardboard box of spore ridden compost. :roll:

I've seen wild mushrooms in my compost pile a few times now.

So, does anyone have a method for using rabbit poo for growing domestic mushrooms?

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Re: Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Sagebrush » Thu May 29, 2014 12:48 pm

I have been using my rabbits poo for fertilizing everything here (dad loves the growth on his Wisteria) but I found HUGE mushrooms growing in it. I have been throwing them away, since I do not know if they are edible or not :shrug: I will try to get a pic of them to see if they are the same "kind" as what you are getting.

I think it would work out really well to grow the mushrooms. I might have to try it :lol:

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Zass » Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 pm

One of the kinds I found was "edible with caution" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinopsis_atramentaria

I don't touch mushrooms unless I know them 100% inside and out though. My ID wasn't 100% enough to consider it.
The only wild ones currently I harvest are sulphur shelves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus

Growing ordinary button mushrooms would be good enough for me though. If no one else is currently using rabbit poo or rabbit poo worm castings for growing them, I might have to try it.

BunnyBucks: 7,390.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Sagebrush » Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Well I can truthfully say that I do not have either of those in my yard. Next time I see some coming up I will be sure to get photos of them.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,215.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ckcs » Thu May 29, 2014 11:01 pm

I get several types of mushrooms growing out of my rabbit compost piles. The piles are mainly pine pellet sawdust and rabbit poo. I throw some odds and ends in there too like old bread, fruit, leftovers and such.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 115.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Yossi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 pm

Im sure this would be very off topic , but i wouldn't mind a mushroom that would take me on a little spin here n there

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Yossi wrote:Im sure this would be very off topic , but i wouldn't mind a mushroom that would take me on a little spin here n there

Nothing against your personal choices, but I wouldn't consider that topic very appropriate for this forum.
As many rabbit enthusiasts and RT members are underage or even the children of older members.

I was thinking purely in terms of culinary mushrooms!
Hopefully just one more way for rabbits to provide something that is both gourmet, and can save me on my grocery bills.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
dayna, dollcan, MaggieJ, MamaSheepdog, Miss M, Sinnfox

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby akane » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:44 pm

I would think you would need to process it somehow like making a rich compost or worms going through it. Mold is a major risk of straight manure of any type and the nutrients are bound up some. Processed rabbit poo, possibly with some fine wood materials like the broken down pine pellets (free sawdust sources?), would probably grow mushrooms well. I don't know about button mushrooms but wild ground growing mushrooms like wood ash or composted wood in their growing medium. They will take over after a forest fire or in a forest that suffered major storm damage several years back so the downed wood has time to compost and be broken down by other fungi in to the dirt. I don't have a whole lot of mushroom experience though. My grandpa mostly just hunts morels and he's not so great at it. We're pretty sure he's nearly killed himself a few times.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:50 pm

akane wrote:I would think you would need to process it somehow like making a rich compost or worms going through it. Mold is a major risk of straight manure of any type and the nutrients are bound up some. Processed rabbit poo, possibly with some fine wood materials like the broken down pine pellets (free sawdust sources?), would probably grow mushrooms well. I don't know about button mushrooms but wild ground growing mushrooms like wood ash or composted wood in their growing medium. They will take over after a forest fire or in a forest that suffered major storm damage several years back so the downed wood has time to compost and be broken down by other fungi in to the dirt. I don't have a whole lot of mushroom experience though. My grandpa mostly just hunts morels and he's not so great at it. We're pretty sure he's nearly killed himself a few times.

I've read that good compost will grow button mushrooms.

As to running worms through it, no problems with that here. I've got buckets of worm casting compost, with pine pelleted bedding already a part of it.
I've read that mushrooms grown on pine may have toxins that differ from mushrooms grown on hardwood. It's possible it's something species specific.
I guess it's time to put some research into growing the things myself.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby skysthelimit » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:43 am

Supposedly one of my rabbit raising friends is growing mushrooms in his basement from a kit. I need to ask if he's using his rabbit poo.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 am

Definitely don't take a chance with mushrooms. Get a kit or something where you know the mushrooms are safe. There are too many look-alike mushrooms out there. A Japanese grandmother, who had been collecting mushrooms her whole life, mistook some mushrooms a while back and sent her whole family to the hospital.

That said, I have thought about doing this myself. I love mushrooms. :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Zass » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Miss M wrote:Definitely don't take a chance with mushrooms. Get a kit or something where you know the mushrooms are safe. There are too many look-alike mushrooms out there. A Japanese grandmother, who had been collecting mushrooms her whole life, mistook some mushrooms a while back and sent her whole family to the hospital.

That said, I have thought about doing this myself. I love mushrooms. :)

This site has pretty simple instructions:
http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Mushrooms-Indoors

It says to sterilize the compost with a microwave, but I bet I could get by with placing the composted rabbit manure in yard-sale baking pans and cooking it. Then use those pans as my growing trays and stack them on a shelf in my cold room.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Zass wrote:I bet I could get by with placing the composted rabbit manure in yard-sale baking pans and cooking it.

My husband would kill me if I put rabbit poo in the oven, and my kids would probably never eat anything from there again. The house will smell mighty interesting afterwards too, I imagine. :x

Maybe you could get those disposable aluminum trays and cook it on the barbecue or over a firepit.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby MaggieJ » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:07 pm

I agree that an outdoor fire pit would be a better choice than the oven. :)

The weirdest thing I have ever put in an oven was some "red earth" that my sister and I found in Southern France. We processed it for the red ochre... shades of Clan of the Cave Bear. But compared to manure, it was clean.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Zass » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm imagining some kind of bunny poo kiln now.
Getting compost sterile just seems so...ewww... :sick:
The spore plugs that go into hardwood logs are looking like a less fuss option.
I have LOTS of downed hardwood logs and branches I could work with, with no cooking of compost required!

Next