Register

Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Re: Rabbit manure for growing mushrooms?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:21 am

You can also put compost into black plastic bags, and lay them flat and thin on a surface that gets really hot -- full sun cement or asphalt. The compost will be cooked. I'd probably let it get several days' worth of sun.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
Zass

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:43 am

MamaSheepdog wrote:
Zass wrote:I bet I could get by with placing the composted rabbit manure in yard-sale baking pans and cooking it.

My husband would kill me if I put rabbit poo in the oven, and my kids would probably never eat anything from there again. The house will smell mighty interesting afterwards too, I imagine. :x

Maybe you could get those disposable aluminum trays and cook it on the barbecue or over a firepit.

So would your BIL...I mean, he would FLIP! LOL

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,999.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Zass » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Miss M wrote:You can also put compost into black plastic bags, and lay them flat and thin on a surface that gets really hot -- full sun cement or asphalt. The compost will be cooked. I'd probably let it get several days' worth of sun.

Really good idea there, and no cooked compost smell ! :P

But, I bet my neighbors will be AWFULLY curious about the black plastic bags placed up on my roof...

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Zass wrote:
Miss M wrote:You can also put compost into black plastic bags, and lay them flat and thin on a surface that gets really hot -- full sun cement or asphalt. The compost will be cooked. I'd probably let it get several days' worth of sun.

But, I bet my neighbors will be AWFULLY curious about the black plastic bags placed up on my roof...

"Oh... um... those? Well.......... let's just say we had a misunderstanding with a neighbor of ours. But it's all taken care of now. What can I do for you?"
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Zass » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:03 am

Miss M wrote:
Zass wrote:

"Oh... um... those? Well.......... let's just say we had a misunderstanding with a neighbor of ours. But it's all taken care of now. What can I do for you?"

With my reputation... Oh man....

:twisted:

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,957.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:13 am

put manure [or cardboard, or wood chips] in a large "baking bag" then into the pressure cooker with a inch of water in the bottom, [leave the spacer in the bottom of the cooker], cook at 15 lbs for 45 min, --- after "medium" is all cool, poke holes in the bag and "inoculate" with your choice of mushroom spawn, or spores, put the bag in an environment suitable for the variety you are growing, and wait. -then when the mushrooms have colonized the bag, [a bunch of fibers inside the bag,] make a slit in the top of the bag so the fruit will have a place to grow out of the bag.

__________ Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 am __________

and-- make sure the " medium" you use is damp , but not soggy before you pressure cook...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
Miss M, Zass

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 425.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Ncrabbit » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:05 am

I do have shrooms growing out of my compost but have yet been able to identify them. Not a big deal since I have several logs with reichi and shiitake mushrooms in the backyard.

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#23  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:26 am

michaels4gardens wrote:put manure [or cardboard, or wood chips] in a large "baking bag" then into the pressure cooker with a inch of water in the bottom, [leave the spacer in the bottom of the cooker], cook at 15 lbs for 45 min, --- after "medium" is all cool, poke holes in the bag and "inoculate" with your choice of mushroom spawn, or spores, put the bag in an environment suitable for the variety you are growing, and wait. -then when the mushrooms have colonized the bag, [a bunch of fibers inside the bag,] make a slit in the top of the bag so the fruit will have a place to grow out of the bag.

__________ Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:13 am __________

and-- make sure the " medium" you use is damp , but not soggy before you pressure cook...

OK, MUST try this this year.

I have one of those huge All American brand pressure canners to use, so no excuse there.

I couldn't click :thankyou: enough times to express how I feel about that set of instructions. :D

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,234.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:13 am

:yeahthat:

My mother-in-law has a pressure cooker she never uses...I wonder if she'd let me borrow it? I probably wouldn't want to tell her what I plan to cook in it...

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,964.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Susie570 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:53 am

Zass wrote:I'm imagining some kind of bunny poo kiln now.
Getting compost sterile just seems so...ewww... :sick:
The spore plugs that go into hardwood logs are looking like a less fuss option.
I have LOTS of downed hardwood logs and branches I could work with, with no cooking of compost required!

A solar oven would work nicely and I understand they can be made pretty cheaply. We're wanting to make one for wax processing purposes. :D
Interested in running a forum for Lop rabbits? Ask me.

BunnyBucks: 95.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Honey » Fri May 08, 2015 9:04 pm

Zass wrote:It says to sterilize the compost with a microwave, but I bet I could get by with placing the composted rabbit manure in yard-sale baking pans and cooking it. Then use those pans as my growing trays and stack them on a shelf in my cold room.

Or, you could make a solar oven and cook it in the sun. Then...no stinky in the house. Cooked earth is FOUL. Stinks up the whole house. ;) I highly recommend you sterilize outside. ;)
Honey Rowland of HoneysLife.com
"Organic since it was a dirty hippie word."

Previous