Rabbit mansion!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoggie

Reaction score
First of all "hi everyone" I finally got here to post :) Been meaning to for ages, but life on the bunny front has been fairly quiet recently. Butone of DD's buns is making me laugh. She has gone into hyperdrive. This is the little doe "Pastry" who we kept because we suspected that she had already been bred when it came to slaughter time - and she had a lovely litter of 5 and reared them all successfully - despite being a very young mum.

Well - she was bred a week ago. She has built the most enormous nest - been running around making bones for days already, got it lined out with fur,, the LOT!! I hav been frantically trying to remember if there is any way she could have been bred previously but I am certain she wasn't.

She obviously has amazing nesting instincts - DD reckons that she knows she is going to have a HUGE litter and won't have time to build a big enough nest if she doesn't start straight away.

Personally, I think she's just barmy like the rest of my animals :D

Anyway - that's about all the news

hoggie

Oh goodness..that quickly? Mama-san waits until the day she kindles and then every scrap of hay, straw, rope, food..anything that she can carry into the nest box...goes into making that nest. The first time she had taken the branchy twigs that I'd given her to munch on and she stuck them at the front of the box...like you put trees around the door to the house. :roll:

And then she just sits there waiting. and waiting. and waiting. Then....FUR PULLING AND KITS BORN...just about that quickly, too. Pull the fur, throw the kits on the fur. presto, she's done. The last batch, she was pulling fur INBETWEEN birthing kits.

Good luck with the bunnies!! Hope to hear good news in a couple of weeks :)

That's early for nesting... but perhaps she actively remembers the last time and wants to be ready. Rabbits are mainly instinct-driven, but it could be hormonal changes are triggering memories for her. Sounds like she's a good little mummy-bunny. :D

:D - yes, certainly last time around she was a great mum. Hopefully she willl do as well this time :) Her mum is certainly a good mum, her sister not quite so. :)

hoggie

I've had a couple of rabbits get all straw gathering and fur pulling about a week of being bred. Then they quiet down and ignore the pile they made. Then they make a new nest about two weeks later and have litters. I have seen this behavior more since they've been in colonies and always attributed it to that but may-be not.

Marian

Back