Rabbit making odd noises..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello..
So I got my new rabbit yesterday... and ever since she got home she has been making this odd noise. She seems to be taking big breaths, and sometimes she makes this little noise, it's not a growl, it's not screaming, she isn't grunting, it's just like she is breathing hard. It only happens some of the time. I've never had a rabbit make this noise before except when being picked up. but she does it on her own. Anyone have any ideas?? Should I have a vet look at her? She is eating, she is drinking, she is pooping, she is peeing. She moves around and explores. Just not sure what this is. :(

I'll try and get a video today.. and no she holds her head normally and it it's a rattly noise. It's like a little squeak. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 pm __________ <br /><br /> [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGgjnjJT8Cs[/youtube]

fluffyhorseylady":25xs1me9 said:
I'll try and get a video today.. and no she holds her head normally and it it's a rattly noise. It's like a little squeak.

__________ Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 pm __________

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGgjnjJT8Cs[/youtube]

Your video is set to 'private', no one can view it.

Oops! I uploaded from my phone so it did that without asking me.. here it is [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGgjnjJT8Cs[/youtube]

Wow... that's a new one on me. :shock:

Our house bunnies will make little squeaky noises when we are petting them sometimes, but nothing that loud at all.

I would call that, possibly, just happy grunting.

In my understanding (I've read about it), some bunnies just like to make little noises. If she seems otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. She might just be excited or something? Just in my opinion, it doesn't seem like anything bad. Perhaps someone else will have other ideas. I hope that's all it is though!! Good luck with her.

Most of the first part of the video was dark, but when I could see the bunny, she seemed to jerk her head when she made the noise. I'm thinking hiccups, maybe? A lot of baby animals will hiccup...

Kind of sounds like hiccups to me too....I have seen some of my little ones get hiccups if they eat to fast..but have not heard that noise. She doesn't seem to be in pain. maybe switch her bottle to a crock? if she is swallowing a lot of air that could be the problem.. :shrug:

Alright so I took her to the vet *She also had some loose stool that made me worry* And found out that part of this noise is caused by a respiratory infection that the vet thinks she got at her previous home! Although she says some of it could just be her talking but her left lung was making a noise. She is now on antibiotics! Otherwise the vet says she looks perfectly healthy and that I am doing well in my care for her!! So good news all in all!

Respiratory infection can be really dangerous in rabbits, glad you caught it! I hope she does well. You'll have to keep us updated. :)

fluffyhorseylady":rilibd3k said:
...She is now on antibiotics! Otherwise the vet says she looks perfectly healthy and that I am doing well in my care for her!! So good news all in all!
What kind of antibiotics? Most of the time I use a pro-biotic when administering antibiotics to help keep the gut flora healthy. Sure antibiotics kill the bad things but they kill the good too.

As Homer mentioned, you will want to give her pro-biotics while she is on antibiotics, so you can reestablish the positive bacteria in the gut. I personally use a product made by Manna Pro that is marketed for goats, sheep, and other livestock..

My vet told me that she picked a antibiotic that really shouldn't mess with her digestive track to much. She said it will just stain her teeth a little. I am planning on picking up some probiotics today just in case though.

In my understanding, giving probiotics can't hurt them and you want to be proactive to prevent an issue instead of waiting until an issue shows up and then try to treat it. I would wait until someone else chimes in to confirm what I just said though... in case I'm not correct (still learning here). ;)

Back