Rabbit Life Span

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that depends on how hard you push them. From what I understand, commercial operators keep their does maximum of three years. But my mom-in-law used to raise rabbits and she often talks of Snowy who raised litters for almost 10.

I have one little girl here, almost four, who has been bred for the last time (now she's the matriarch of the colony). Her litters have been small the last three times. Like Ladysown says it can depend on how much you breed them. My doe, a Palomino Creme D'Argent cross was bred on average 4 times a year.I think diet and environment also plays a part.

Personally I retire my rabbits at the age of 4, because by they can be great great great grandmothers so I have all these replacement does for her. I know they can still produce fine after that, but I just feel bad about it and the risks of trouble pregnancies increase as they get older(just like humans I suppose) and I wouldn't want to risk my does health or life just to get a litter out of her.

For bucks most can breed until the day they die.

Back