Register

Rabbit Heads

One recipe per topic, please, to allow for comments and tweaking.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,230.00

Rabbit Heads

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Desert Rose Rabbits » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 am

So, I'm a bit of a 'freaky eater' by most American standards... I tend to love the things most people can't stand. This got me to thinking about the fact that I'm trying to use all parts of the animal and the only thing really going to waste right now are the heads.

I've been tossing them in the freezer for the dog (the brain is a bit rich for her despite all the bone, so it's a rare treat), but I got to thinking about eating them myself. I know that people regularly eat the heads of other animals; fish, beef, hog, goat, etc. What about these guys? Does anyone think you could get enough from the heads to be worth it?
http://desertroserabbits.webs.com/

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,765.00

Re: Rabbit Heads

Post Number:#2  Unread postby CWD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:11 am

a while back there was a post about adish made out of rabbit heads, I cant remember what the dish was, but I remember the picture of the heads after they were skinned, and it looked like there was a fair amount of meat on them.
I wanted to give them a try, but my skills at skinning a rabbit head is not very good.so I have gone back
to using the heads as pet food.
you my try looking in the recipe posts.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:33 am

Heads have a lot of meat on them- we have the head of our steer in the freezer, but just haven't quite brought ourselves to cook it.

Here is the recipe CWD mentioned:

found-this-recipie-tonight-who-s-brave-enough-to-try-it-t14463.html

Being a tad squeamish, I didn't look. Our heads go to the dogs.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,465.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Schipperkesue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:46 am

My dad raised rabbits during the war in Germany to help feed his family. He maintains that rabbit cheeks are the best part of the rabbit.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,230.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Desert Rose Rabbits » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:45 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:My dad raised rabbits during the war in Germany to help feed his family. He maintains that rabbit cheeks are the best part of the rabbit.

My 'step' mother in law is from China and since meeting her 10 years ago I've explored a lot of food. I can honestly say that the cheeks from every animal I've tried so far have been the BEST part of the animal.

I think I'll try making head cheese, or something like that. If I were to try the recipe that was posted, my husband would never eat... I do have to say I'll probably try making it but won't tell my husband what it is. He's not too bad as long as he doesn't see it before it's cooked.

I am curious, though, how easy the head's will be to skin. I broomstick so the heads are already more, or less, removed by the time I'm done with them.
http://desertroserabbits.webs.com/

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,840.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Zass » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Heads are easy to skin, just cut through the ear butts eyes and lips, everything else just kinda peels off.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 413.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby bucknercrestfarm » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Fried rabbit ears are a good garnish on salads a gourmet chief told me about them

BunnyBucks: 3,465.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Schipperkesue » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 pm

Kitty102 wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:My dad raised rabbits during the war in Germany to help feed his family. He maintains that rabbit cheeks are the best part of the rabbit.

My 'step' mother in law is from China and since meeting her 10 years ago I've explored a lot of food. I can honestly say that the cheeks from every animal I've tried so far have been the BEST part of the animal.

I think I'll try making head cheese, or something like that. If I were to try the recipe that was posted, my husband would never eat... I do have to say I'll probably try making it but won't tell my husband what it is. He's not too bad as long as he doesn't see it before it's cooked.

I am curious, though, how easy the head's will be to skin. I broomstick so the heads are already more, or less, removed by the time I'm done with them.

Hmmm, cheek cheese!

Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby 3mina » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm

If you can avoid completely removing the head when you broomstick, then it's pretty easy to skin it.
If I'm processing smaller rabbits I can do cervical dislocation by hand and those heads remain on the carcass.
Rex and American Sables

BunnyBucks: 10,925.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby grumpy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 am

Off topic a little but an interesting avenue to pursue.

Locate a "Falconry-Club" you can sell the rabbit heads
for around a dollar a piece. The falconer's use them to
train their birds and as a treat for their bird at times.

Just an idea.

Dehydrated rabbit ears sell for a dollar a piece
as chew-toys in some upscale pet stores.

grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
Susie570

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 1,245.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby JDWest » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh man!...I need to start saving the cheeks out of my Flemish Giants. The heads on my retired are big, and i've been throwing some good meat away!
I think once i got enough cheeks i would like to try an Indian butter chicken (or something along this line) variant, with the cheeks and ingredients in a pressure cooker. Hmmmm...

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 am

Cheeks. Who knew? I'll have to think about that.

We just butchered today ourselves.

I read that recipe with interest a while back. I don't know that I'll try it, but I thought it was fascinating. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,410.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Ramjet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:25 am

I have a good friend that makes tamales with the meat from the head of a pig .... wont use any other part. Says its the most tender meat & her tamales are delicious.
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby BlueMoods » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm

The cheeks of any animal are one of the most prized bits. Rabbit, fish, pig, cattle, deer, anything. Look at old recopies for head cheese (souse meat). Of course brains and eggs and, pickled tongue are always good, so plenty of uses for the head.

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,840.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Zass » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/dinin ... .html?_r=0

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/ ... nts-150915

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... chuan.html

http://windhorsetour.com/blog/rabbit-he ... -specialty

Found these links. Seems like there are already lot of people who enjoy it.

The final one has a description of how it's done and what spices are used. I was sold. I won't be preparing any myself, but if I ever find myself in the region I would probably stop by and try one. :)

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
2CrazyFools

Next