Rabbit Has Both Sex Organs?...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeden

Reaction score
I'm well acquainted with rabbits and split penis...but this one has me perplexed!

This is a 10 week old Californian. For a while I was assuming it was a doe. Had a long slit. Then one day I pushed a bit harder and a THING kinda pushed itself out the bottom. The Thing wasn't as separate looking for a while so I thought that I've had a doe that had an injury to her lower vulva...now the piece actually snakes out and curls when I press on it!

Again - I've seen a split penis, but could this be something else? A hermaphrodite or?...

IMG_7341_zps295cec50.jpg

(before pressing)
IMG_7338_zps14a652ff.jpg

(fully pressed)
IMG_7345_zps0c22ece4.jpg

(pushed lightly)

Its another form of split penis, I've seen it one other time. Testicles may not drop, but may still be able to produce so be careful about that. I know because of a Mini Lop that was a "doe" in with another doe that had a litter shortly after they reached 4 months old that I had sold for a pet (and they were waiting until both were 6 months to spay them). That's been years ago, I don't think this version shows up a great deal.

Of course, not ruling out the possibility it is the other...I just know its not some thing you want to try to keep breeding and would be an obvious dq on the show table.

Yeah, it won't be something I'll retain for show stock. Such a bummer too, because it's the nicest rabbit in the litter! That's how it always goes, right? :lol:

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":grrkj820 said:
Its another form of split penis, I've seen it one other time. Testicles may not drop, but may still be able to produce so be careful about that. I know because of a Mini Lop that was a "doe" in with another doe that had a litter shortly after they reached 4 months old that I had sold for a pet (and they were waiting until both were 6 months to spay them). That's been years ago, I don't think this version shows up a great deal.

Of course, not ruling out the possibility it is the other...I just know its not some thing you want to try to keep breeding and would be an obvious dq on the show table.

that is a new one for me-- never seen that before-- thanks for the pictures---

Back