Rabbit has a cut on her back that she won't leave alone...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stitch81

Reaction score
In the process of trimming my rabbit's fur (she's an angora) I accidentally nicked her on her back. It wasn't bad, just a nick. however, she won't leave it alone and managed to rip out a patch of fur around the nick, and now has a nickle sized red patch. She will not leave the area alone, and I don't know what to do. It appears that the area keeps scabbing, and she keeps pulling the scab off. Any ideas? I thought about getting one of those dog sweaters, but she's an angora, she doesn't need to be any warmer. Also, she is an inside bunny.

Melanie

Maybe spray it with lidocaine or something that will numb the area? If she can't feel it, maybe she'll leave it alone.

That's all I can think of. :shrug:

I would make a cardboard collar for her so she can't get to it. Just take a piece about the size of a pop case (about 10" x 12" or so) and cut a hole a little bigger than her head, pull her ears through and she can't get to the spot you don't want her to. She also won't be able to get her cecotropes (sp?) so I'd only use it for a couple of days but that should be long enough to let it heal a bit.

Stitch81,

I am going to move this topic to the Rabbit Care Forum so more people will see it.

:welcome: to RT, by the way! :)

I use bitter apple spray for my dogs. not sure if it would work on rabbits but it is worth a try. tastes horrible.

Our Flemish scratched his ear, typical baby, and kept scratching. We put some aloe on it. Stopped him from scratching, plus helped it heal.

Karen

And please, please, please post a photo of the "cone of shame" :D

Next time, have a tube of super glue handy and if you snip one again, a drop of the superglue and a pinch for a minute will hold the edges together ... the bunny might not even know it had been injured.

Back