Rabbit fur / wool projects

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozarkansas

Reaction score
Good Morning Y'all!
So I started several projects recently. And I need ideas :)
First, I tanned my first rabbit skins. I used the basic alum and salt method. I did 6 16 week olds, an old doe, and 2 old bucks. They turned out pretty good for me having no idea what I was doing. I'm still working on one of the old buck's but the other 8 are surprisingly soft on both sides and white on the skin side! The thing is I ripped them. Some are really bad, others just a small tear. So I was wondering what do y'all suggest I do with them? I was thinking I could cut them down so the rips don't show and try a blanket or something?

Second, I recently acquired some English Angora wool. Silly because I'm mildly allergic to it. But one of my freinds (who shall remain nameless lol) was throwing it on the ground when she groomed and sheared her Angoras :roll: I ordered some mini hand carders on Etsy. And plan to start with a drop spindle. I also want to experiment with felting. But other than that I'm clueless. I can crochet, so if I could make decant yarn I have ideas.

So if anyone who is more crafty and more experienced then me, I'd love your ideas!!
Thanks!

Thanks Maggie! I actually really like the looks of that blanket! I also realized this post might be in the wrong category :? If you think it's fine leave it here, but feel free to move it if you think that would be better :)

MaggieJ":3uk7psmx said:
I'm certain this link has been posted before, but I couldn't find it. I thought this blanket was just stunning. It does take a lot of skins, but even if it's not your kind of thing, Ozarkansas, it's worth taking a peek at it. :)

http://www.primitiveways.com/rabbit_skin_blanket.html

:wbounce:
Oh... my god I love it.

You enabler you.
:grouphug2:

On another note.
Doing the smallish bit of research I have into tanning pelts for use in crafting/sewing I've found a few things.
Pelts harvested after the winter to summer molt tend to have thinner density and thicker skin/leather
Pelts harvested after the summer to winter growth tend to have thicker density and thinner skin/leather
The preferred combo of fur density and leather thickness also depends on the breed itself and the intended purpose of the fur when it's done. But it seems that the general rule of thumb is a senior rabbit in a senior prime pelt will give the best results in tanned hides.

That being said, fluffy jr pelts are SO SOFT! But I've heard that they can shed hairs quickly too. That's another thing you have to take into consideration is when the hide was taken. If it was taken during a molt the fur will pull from the hide and you'll end with balding patches faster.

If I can find the link for this info I'll post it. We are in the middle of moving all the things everywhere so my main computer with all my fun info is currently sitting in a box.

Being in the middle of not one, but two lap throws I have to say cutting your hides down and stitching yourself a nice throw is great. And very satisfying to hold something that you have done that is so far outside a normal budget that most can't even afford to buy it. :cool:

Not having spun yet, I can't say about the angora but I don't like it much for felting as it felts all fuzzy and I like a very tight and smooth felt as that suits what I make. Needle felt is what I do and I can say, it is muchly fun and ever so addictive. :oops: :lol:

Mostly just enjoy yourself really. :D

Back