rabbit first aid kit and supplies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
So we want to stock up on anything we would possibly or likely need for our rabbits while we have extra means to do so. So far on my list is stocking up on more hay to supply us through winter, nail clippers (since the ones I used to have disappeared in the move), and pills for de-worming in case I need them. What other things would you recommend to have on hand, for first aid or just generally for raising rabbits?

As of now, we have a good stock of pellets, some hay, BOSS, formula for baby rabbits, an extra cage, and some extra feeders and waterers.

I figure the more prepared I am for anything, the better.

I don't believe in medicating my herd beyond the bare minimum, so my list is pretty straightforward.

Nu-Stock, Blu-Kote, and Vetericyn for wounds.
Betadine (Surgical Scrub and non-sudsing varieties) for disinfecting wounds.
Scalpel blades and syringes.
Injectable penicillin. More for us if something catastrophic happens- I have never used it on an animal.
Gauze and Vetwrap.
Tums for kindling does.
Chewable Vitamin C and chewable Echinacea tabs for immune support.
Colloidial Silver.
Diatomaceaous Earth for Insect control. It is great for fleas and mites, and I add it to their feed for intestinal parasites.
Liquid Ivomec Sheep Drench as a last resort against intestinal parasites.
Probiotic Paste for weaning enteritis.
White vinegar for disinfecting cages and nests.
Goat formula for hand feeding kits.

There may be more- our pharmacopeia covers a broad spectrum of animals. :)

Here is my list of Rabbit First Aid Supplies:

Most of this is available at Feed Stores or Tractor Supply Company online, and Walmart or the drugstore for the general first aid stuff.

*ProBios Paste - Equine formula (enteritis issues)
*GasX strips or simethicone drops (gas issues with enteritis)
*Tums-fruit flavored (calcium boost for kindling does)
*Injectable Penicillin: I have PenG w/Procaine (mastitis)
*Powdered and injectable tetracycline (vent disease)
*Triple antibiotic ointment, no pain meds in it (general wounds)
*Terramycin eye ointment or Veterycin spray (nestbox eye)
*Disposable Scalpels-- rounded and pointed blades (lancing abcesses)
*Vet wrap,sterile gauze pads, telfa pads or large non stick bandages, Q-Tips, Cotton balls (general bandaging if necessary)
*Syringes- feeding type, tuberculin (1cc) and larger, 6-12 CC sizes
*Hypodermic needles..18g to draw with, 22g to inject with
*Blue kote, Bag Balm (for wounnds, ie. sore hocks, etc.)
*Spray Iodine, different dilutions (general cleaning, wound care)
*Vinegar and rubbing alcohol (general cleaning)
*Liquid bandage or Super Glue (small cuts)
*Styptic Powder (stop bleeding from nails trimmed too short)
*Scissors (we have bandage scissors, and small, straight scissors)
*Tweezers- sharp and blunt
*Mineral oil and Ivomec injectable (ear mites)
*Scale (charting weight)
*Calculator (for calculating dosages for ABX)
*Dosage charts (for your commonly used meds)
*Clove oil (natural topical pain reliever)

What about herbs used for first aid? In the spring I'd like to set aside a patch in the garden just for herbs grown for the rabbits. What herbs would you suggest and what do they treat?

I still think this should be stickied :p

I am working on my website, and would like to create a pet owner's first aid kit suggestion list.

I second the sticky idea.

The only thing I can think of to add is that stuff that stops bleeding from nail trimming. I can't think of the name though.

Styptic powder. I got a little vial of it with my nail clippers, but hardly ever need to use it.

Three Little Ladies rabbitry has an awesome herbs page as well, but I am thinking strictly first aid, what you absolutely should always have on hand.

I don't repeat what others have already posted, but will add to it-

Electrolytes/Vitamin powder- used both in winter and summer, good for kits who seem to need a boost, older rabbits and nursing does.

Calf Manna- boosts milk production on nursing does

Baycox- Epizootic Rabbit Enteropathy

Biosponge- works for ERE- Mucoid, or any gut distress

Manuka honey— for dressing wounds- its one of the only safe things that kills bacteria without causing tissue damage. Doctors are beginning to use it on bed sores and wounds that won't heal in humans. I read a post where a long time breeder in New Zealand has abscesses and eye infections in rabbits with much success.

I used betadine on a wound and I could just see it kill the tissue- then i read a bunch of medical posts mostly doctors and nurses posting saying not to use it on wounds- it kills the cells that form to heal wounds so if you put betadine on a wound you create a wound that will not heal. Then I found other medical studies for dressing wounds with manuka honey- seriously its one of the only substances that kills bacteria without killing the cells that heal the wounds.

The proper protocol nurses and doctors use for open wounds is washing out with saline and covering with bandage- they strongly recommend against using iodine, betadine, hydrogen peroxide etc...

Add Chlorahexadine to that list.. I swear by the stuff for almost everything.. I use it to clean everything, antibiotic, wound cleaner.. it does it all and has saved a lot of animals I've worked with..

Save your money on the styptic powder and get a cheap box of corn starch from the grocery store. Works just fine and is very cheap and accessible.

After an un-needed $600 emergency vet visit, I learned that si<br /><br />__________ Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:29 pm __________<br /><br />(oops hit enter too soon)
I learned that simethicone (infant gas releif, you can buy it anywhere) was a great thing to have on hand since gas and GI-stasis can have similar starting symptoms!

Cornstarch is a better than styptic powder and it does not hurt - styptic causes pain. Flour may be used as well. I've been a dog groomer for years and can attest to the pain.

Everyone's named all the stuff I keep, except I use ACV instead of regular vinegar.

As far as herbs, every year I grow

Lavender, parsley, mulberry, lemon balm, marsh mallow, dandelion. I'm trying to get some willow to grow.

Well, since mine are meat rabbits, my kit is very basic and simple.
VETRX Rabbit Remedy for snuffles, ear mites and, ear canker (never had canker in my herd)
Fer-sul (petroleum based ointment with sulfur in it for superficial cuts or scratches, or skin mites (rarely used)
Gauze
Tape
Neosporin
Wonder Dust - to stop bleeding if I need to use it.

That's it. I don't medicate beyond that. My breeders will go to the vet if my little kit can't handle it but the ones growing out for meat never see a vet. I do what I can and hope they make it to butcher weight and look good when I dress them out. I usually don't loose any rabbits unless I bring in new blood, then I might loose one of the new ones from stress setting off something the rabbit already had.

I only keep simethicone. I figure it's better to get fresh stuff as needed from the drug store instead of having a box of really old stuff that was purchased years ago.

Latest posts

Back