rabbit first aid kit and supplies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anybody's mentioned terramycin yet? It's an antibiotic for their eyes.

I also keep around goat probiotic paste in case of GI stasis. Gets some nutrients in them.

Nail glue works if you clip the quick or if you want to push the edges of a cut back together.

I was working in the exotics department at the veterinary teaching hospital over the last few weeks. Worked with a lot of rabbits, g-pig, ferrets, snakes, and turtles. Even ran anesthesia on a tiger! But one of the coolest tricks I learned was using a nasal speculum with a light to look and teeth. This worked wonders on rabbits. We can look at their front teeth easy but it is hard to know what is going on in back. With the use of a nasal speculum we could see it all! Just wanted to share the tip. Here is a link to what we used but I am sure you could find cheaper!http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/pro...GGtaZdT9N0rThya7GJwXGoCQnDIkoxA68ShoCFKXw_wcB

Would the list be different for a home with just one or two house-rabbits?
I'm guessing that some of the things listed here are not available to just your average pet owner - more likely needing an agricultural certification or something ?

Most of it can be found in bona fide feed and farm stores, not PetsMart or other big chain pet stores, particularly the antibiotics. It can all be purchased online also. If you can start a few window boxes at your condo and grow herbs, that'll be a big step towards having a rabbit pharmacy!!

HOWsMom":1jrijhw9 said:
Would the list be different for a home with just one or two house-rabbits?
I'm guessing that some of the things listed here are not available to just your average pet owner - more likely needing an agricultural certification or something ?

Some of it may not be available without a prescription in Canada. I know it's like that for some of our European members.

And yes, the list probably would be somewhat different for a couple of house buns. :) Mainly basic injury treatment, a bottle of baby gas drops, a very small bottle of baby aspirin (unless you have a willow tree), a bottle of super glue (to close larger cuts).

Have some syringes on hand, in case you need to force fluids. You don't need needles unless you need to inject, and many syringes can be bought without them. You may be able to find these at pet stores, since needing to force fluids to pets is not an unusual thing, but you can get them at Tractor Supply and feed stores. I think you can even find them in WalMart and pharmacies for ear irrigation and such.

Unless they come with them, the chances of ear mites or fur mites on a house bunny are low.

You will need to consider ahead of time what you are going to do if a house rabbit ends up with a condition that is constantly painful, requires high vet bills to treat, or is contagious to other rabbits. Are you going to go to a vet? If so, how much are you willing to pay? If a rabbit really needs to be put down, are you going to do this yourself, ask a friend, or go to a vet? You can discuss this with Bug, too, since it would be her rabbit. It's easier to deal with later if you've thought about it beforehand. Rabbits are pretty delicate creatures. You can have a perfectly healthy rabbit in the morning, go run some errands, and come home to a rabbit that is gravely ill. You don't have to come to an absolute decision right now, but give it some good consideration. :)

Thankfully we have had (and do have) other pets - so all the kids are well aware of the shorter life spans and such that come with small animals.
I would never allow an animal to suffer because of a human heart is attached to it - HOW we would euthanize, I'm not certain, that would depend on many factors at the time, and will never be a static answer here.

I have a cheap otoscope that I use to check back teeth now :) (it was like $10 on amazon)
Will be beefing up my kit a bit though using this :p Vetrycin for sure as I heard very good things and have other animals too.

I'm also looking into "must have" medicinal herbs for rabbits. I started a square foot garden this year and while it worked well, I'm not a huge veggie eater and most of it went to the chickens/buns/ducks anyway :lol:

The otoscope is a great idea! :)

One thing to keep in mind about Vetericyn is that it has a pretty short shelf life, despite being expensive. Perhaps we have members who have been using it for some time, and can say whether it is still effective long past the date?

Latest posts

Back