Register

rabbit first aid kit and supplies?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 25.00

Re: rabbit first aid kit and supplies?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby DeniseT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:43 am

Cornstarch is a better than styptic powder and it does not hurt - styptic causes pain. Flour may be used as well. I've been a dog groomer for years and can attest to the pain.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 368.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby RothsRabbits » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (313.21 KiB) Viewed 608 times

Real great products.

Eye drops.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 48,778.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby skysthelimit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Everyone's named all the stuff I keep, except I use ACV instead of regular vinegar.

As far as herbs, every year I grow

Lavender, parsley, mulberry, lemon balm, marsh mallow, dandelion. I'm trying to get some willow to grow.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

BunnyBucks: 1,365.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby BlueMoods » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Well, since mine are meat rabbits, my kit is very basic and simple.
VETRX Rabbit Remedy for snuffles, ear mites and, ear canker (never had canker in my herd)
Fer-sul (petroleum based ointment with sulfur in it for superficial cuts or scratches, or skin mites (rarely used)
Gauze
Tape
Neosporin
Wonder Dust - to stop bleeding if I need to use it.

That's it. I don't medicate beyond that. My breeders will go to the vet if my little kit can't handle it but the ones growing out for meat never see a vet. I do what I can and hope they make it to butcher weight and look good when I dress them out. I usually don't loose any rabbits unless I bring in new blood, then I might loose one of the new ones from stress setting off something the rabbit already had.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,635.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby a7736100 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:35 pm

I only keep simethicone. I figure it's better to get fresh stuff as needed from the drug store instead of having a box of really old stuff that was purchased years ago.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,538.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby cowgirl9768 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:43 pm

Here is an old post on a pepper I wrote on herbs. Some of it is my experience, others is stuff I herd, none of it is for sure fact but it may help!
herds-and-how-they-help-rabbits-t9636-15.html
http://rainbowskiesrabbitry.weebly.com/

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 166.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby furtoplease » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:13 am

I don't think anybody's mentioned terramycin yet? It's an antibiotic for their eyes.

I also keep around goat probiotic paste in case of GI stasis. Gets some nutrients in them.

Nail glue works if you clip the quick or if you want to push the edges of a cut back together.

BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby momofninjababy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 am

Im not officially going shopping! There are so many things to get now that i have read this!!! :x
Breeding to better is better than breeding to breed. *ER*

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,538.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby cowgirl9768 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I was working in the exotics department at the veterinary teaching hospital over the last few weeks. Worked with a lot of rabbits, g-pig, ferrets, snakes, and turtles. Even ran anesthesia on a tiger! But one of the coolest tricks I learned was using a nasal speculum with a light to look and teeth. This worked wonders on rabbits. We can look at their front teeth easy but it is hard to know what is going on in back. With the use of a nasal speculum we could see it all! Just wanted to share the tip. Here is a link to what we used but I am sure you could find cheaper!http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/product/itemKey/31341935?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKEAiAo8emBRCX_OqU4qek6y8SJACzgf8fvNzLo4FGGtaZdT9N0rThya7GJwXGoCQnDIkoxA68ShoCFKXw_wcB
http://rainbowskiesrabbitry.weebly.com/

The following user would like to thank cowgirl9768 for this post
EnglishSpot

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby HOWsMom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:43 am

Would the list be different for a home with just one or two house-rabbits?
I'm guessing that some of the things listed here are not available to just your average pet owner - more likely needing an agricultural certification or something ?
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 6,258.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:35 pm

Most of it can be found in bona fide feed and farm stores, not PetsMart or other big chain pet stores, particularly the antibiotics. It can all be purchased online also. If you can start a few window boxes at your condo and grow herbs, that'll be a big step towards having a rabbit pharmacy!!
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:01 pm

HOWsMom wrote:Would the list be different for a home with just one or two house-rabbits?
I'm guessing that some of the things listed here are not available to just your average pet owner - more likely needing an agricultural certification or something ?

Some of it may not be available without a prescription in Canada. I know it's like that for some of our European members.

And yes, the list probably would be somewhat different for a couple of house buns. :) Mainly basic injury treatment, a bottle of baby gas drops, a very small bottle of baby aspirin (unless you have a willow tree), a bottle of super glue (to close larger cuts).

Have some syringes on hand, in case you need to force fluids. You don't need needles unless you need to inject, and many syringes can be bought without them. You may be able to find these at pet stores, since needing to force fluids to pets is not an unusual thing, but you can get them at Tractor Supply and feed stores. I think you can even find them in WalMart and pharmacies for ear irrigation and such.

Unless they come with them, the chances of ear mites or fur mites on a house bunny are low.

You will need to consider ahead of time what you are going to do if a house rabbit ends up with a condition that is constantly painful, requires high vet bills to treat, or is contagious to other rabbits. Are you going to go to a vet? If so, how much are you willing to pay? If a rabbit really needs to be put down, are you going to do this yourself, ask a friend, or go to a vet? You can discuss this with Bug, too, since it would be her rabbit. It's easier to deal with later if you've thought about it beforehand. Rabbits are pretty delicate creatures. You can have a perfectly healthy rabbit in the morning, go run some errands, and come home to a rabbit that is gravely ill. You don't have to come to an absolute decision right now, but give it some good consideration. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby HOWsMom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Thankfully we have had (and do have) other pets - so all the kids are well aware of the shorter life spans and such that come with small animals.
I would never allow an animal to suffer because of a human heart is attached to it - HOW we would euthanize, I'm not certain, that would depend on many factors at the time, and will never be a static answer here.
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:28 pm

That's good that it's already been thought about with other animals, and is not a new concept. :) That's the important thing.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,292.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby Deer Heart » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:38 pm

I have a cheap otoscope that I use to check back teeth now :) (it was like $10 on amazon)
Will be beefing up my kit a bit though using this :P Vetrycin for sure as I heard very good things and have other animals too.

I'm also looking into "must have" medicinal herbs for rabbits. I started a square foot garden this year and while it worked well, I'm not a huge veggie eater and most of it went to the chickens/buns/ducks anyway :lol:

PreviousNext