Rabbit dropping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warhawk77

Reaction score
I heard that if I put trays on the ground below my cages to catch the dropping it could draw rats. I was thinking of building a 2x6 wood box with no bottom under the cages, put some dirt in them, add worms and let the dropping fall. Then once or twice a year empty the box into my garden or flower beds.

But if it will draw rats I need to rethink my plan, maybe empty more often?

I would think if the dropping are in the tray or garden it wouldn't make any difference, if rats will come they will come to both. I'm hoping the person that told me this was wrong and the rats would be drawn buy food that gets dropped on the ground.

Really hoping to use the dropping for the garden.

I have a large compose pile in my back yard, and neither the flies nor the mice that plagued me for a while were drawn to the compost pile, but to the occasional bits of grain that fell out of the feeders.

Many people don't even have trays, the droppings just fall to the ground and they shovel them eventually. You should be fine, and if you do get a bit of a problem, put out some bait stations.

Thanks for that info after thinking about it last night I was hoping it was the feed that they would be drawn to not the dropping.

Can't wait I will be cleaning the area tommorrow to put the cages

I think they were confused and the rats were coming for spilled food.

Now, if you have dogs on the other hand, they will eat the rabbit droppings. Fortunately, rabbits produce more "bunny berries" than even the hungriest dog will wish to consume, so there should be plenty left for the gardens!

:dogkiss: As Lucy from Peanuts would say "Get some disinfectant! Get some iodine!"

MamaSheepdog":68fv550b said:
Now, if you have dogs on the other hand, they will eat the rabbit droppings. Fortunately, rabbits produce more "bunny berries" than even the hungriest dog will wish to consume, so there should be plenty left for the gardens!
I was very lucky. My rabbits are out in the open in the summer time and the dogs go around and under ect. They do not touch the droppings and i have three dogs. But i do get rodents with the spilled grains. So the dogs are busy chasing them. lol

I've been curious about this "deep bed" method myself, since I'm about to build a new rabbitry. I have a couple of questions, but I keep posting them to dying threads. :lol:

Does this method draw a lot of flies? I would think it would, since I get flies any time the droppings build up a little on my chutes.

How can you prevent a bumper crop of flies?

Do you need to prepare the ground below at all before the droppings begin?

Since the urine goes there too, can this go directly into the garden, or will it burn the plants?

You know what I've noticed, in the pans that are dry, there are not any flies. They seem to be attracted to the urine, either the smell or the dampness. I also think they are attracted to the shade in the barn, because they do not circle around the compost bin (ie dung heap) or under the new grow out cages, where the urine soaks into the ground readily.

I didn't think about flies thanks for that info.

The rat thing had me worried but I'm not worried any more.

Miss M":2ffgkzuu said:
How can you prevent a bumper crop of flies?

Do you need to prepare the ground below at all before the droppings begin?

Since the urine goes there too, can this go directly into the garden, or will it burn the plants?

1. Plant some catnip nearby and add crushed stems and leaves to the poop piles. A good breeze though is the best fly deterrent.

2. When we had cages in the summer rabbitry, I put down a few inches of wood shavings when we started out. I don't think it is necessary if the ground is well drained, but it was pretty damp that spring. Maybe just loosen the soil a bit so it can easily absorb the urine.

3. I've never had a problem with rabbit urine burning the plants.

Miss M":loii6hav said:
Thank you! New bunnybarn coming soon! :razz:

Congratulations on the upcoming bunny barn. Look forward to seeing the finished set up.

BTW, who's building it and what is it going to be constructed with?

Karen

We'll be building it... how, I don't know yet... have to give Shay some ideas really quick, though. I'll do a search on RT for the various setups so I can help him out.

Back