Rabbit Cyst fur not growing back.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcia Herr

Reaction score
My rabbit developed a small looked like a sore but it was a small lump and her fur is gone from this site. Vet said to treat with antiseptic seem to heal, but is getting larger and fur will not grow back.

Please advise.

Hello Marcia and welcome to RabbitTalk! :hi:

We will need more information in order to try to help you. How long has the rabbit had the problem? How big is the lump? When you examine it closely, is there a tiny opening? Where on the rabbit is the lump located? Is there any redness, oozing or is it hot to the touch? Sorry for all the questions, but it is hard to tell what it might be without seeing it or having a good description.

did you actually take her to the vets?
it could be ringworm - conditions in much of na seem perfect for ringworm this year.

She has had the problem appox 2 1/2 weeks. Started very small but is now the size of a nickel. It is raised appox a 1/2 inch. You can see the pores. Nothing oozing. Does not seem hot to touch. She acts fine. Fur is not growing back. It is located behind her right shoulder.

Thank you for your help.

if there is a raised ring on the outside of it - or any raised hairless part at all I'd be very suspicious of ringwom and get her to a vet quicly
I also wouldn't touch it - ringworm is HIGHLY contagious across species .. watch your self and your other animals carefully until you get a diagnosis

it is highly treatable as well ...but you need the right stuff - and for most animals that is oral perscription .. people can control or eradicate ringworm with creams but they don't work as well on animals

I foster ringworm positive animals on occasion - it's not a lot of fun and STRICT isolation protocols go into place to do that - quarantine alone won't prevent cross infection

If it is raised a half an inch, it is not ring-worm (a fungal disease for those of you who are not familiar). It could be a bot fly (warble) infestation, a cyst, or several other things. It probably needs be lanced and drained, or, if it is a bot fly, the larva removed. It should then be medicated and kept clean till it heals. You need to consider how valuable the rabbit is to you. If it is very valuable, take it to the vet. If it is not so valuable, wrap it in a towel, have someone hold it, and lance the protuberance with a disinfected scalpel or single edge razor blade. You will then need a needle or a dental pick to pull out any offending material or larva. Clean with hydrogen peroxide, apply some tripple antibiotic, and you are done. Clean off the surface and re-apply the ointment twice daily. I usually keep a cup of generic Listerine mouthwash around to dip instruments in.

It may sound sort of yucky..but if you learn how to treat this one, you will know how to do it when it happens to a treasured animal.

avdpas- in my experience people's measurements on the net are often off

ringworm is OFTEN substantially raised in the centre of the infection - but sometimes it is barely raised ..hair around a site can also influence perception of what one is seeing - ringworm does not always look the same - how many cases have you presonally dealt with?

I am actually quite offended that you feel more qualified to rule in or out soemthing based on the description given then anyone else ... both the location of it and the fact it doesn't appear to be bothering her at all suggest at least the possibility of ringworm .. and given the contagious nature of ringworm across species I think anyone dealing with a POSSIBLE case should be educated

Back