Rabbit burger?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm cooking rabbit meatballs right now. :D

Ground rabbit holds together well, and has a fairly neutral taste. I find that it works well in pretty much any recipe that call for ground chicken, turkey or pork.

Oscar":1xl9a484 said:
Has anyone ever tried to grind up rabbit meat in the meat grinder?
Yes. It takes longer to debone it though than grind it by a long shot. :)

Miss M":1xl9a484 said:
Do you combine it with pork fat or anything? I have been wanting to try this, myself.
I put about 20% pork fat in mine. If you don't it's a pretty dry, crumbly burger. (yuk) I make our own link and patty sausage to and do the same amount of fat. Then add what ever seasoning you want. Sometimes when stuffing casings you need to add a little water to get it to flow right in the rings.

Well we grind deer and elk meat all the time so we're used to deboning things, including chicken and turkey. I think that it would taste good! What way do you say is best for dispatching a rabbit?

The question would be "What is the best way for you?"

There are some good threads on this topic in Meat Rabbits, like this:
best-cleanest-fastest-dispatch-t25080.html

There are other threads, like cervical dislocation or the tabletop dispatcher, just leaf through the Meat Rabbit Forum, you'll find lot's of info and what to consider.

I use a .22 or a homemade captive bolt gun.

Homer":1gv87gtf said:
Miss M":1gv87gtf said:
Do you combine it with pork fat or anything? I have been wanting to try this, myself.
I put about 20% pork fat in mine. If you don't it's a pretty dry, crumbly burger. (yuk) I make our own link and patty sausage to and do the same amount of fat. Then add what ever seasoning you want. Sometimes when stuffing casings you need to add a little water to get it to flow right in the rings.

I do not add any pork or other animal fats to mine, and we do not find it to be dry and crumbly.
Individual tastes differ though.
We also prepare our venison without added fats.

We cut rabbit off the bone, grind it up.
Add about 20 saltine crackers, one egg, and one t. lemon pepper.
fry in a little butter, MMMMmmmm

I process around 5 lbs.
By that time, the kits are getting quite crowded, and are about ready to start breeding-type activities.
I still do not enjoy killing them, but, I do like feeding my family from animals we have raised with respect and the best care we can provide. :)

Back