rabbit and rice salad

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We butchered 5 rabbits last week. Baked one whole and cut the others into meal size portions and froze them but had the bony carcasses of 4 left. Usually would use them to make soup but that didn't appeal when it's so warm and humid. So covered them with water and put in some herbs and cooked them until the meat came off and then took some of the broth and cooked some brown rice in it. Added celery, onion, peppers, mint, lemon balm, lemon juice and olive oil to the meat. Tossed it with the rice and chilled it. Put it on the table with a basket of snap peas and called it supper. My son and daughter,who'd been working outside in the heat all day while i froze peas, made cheese etc. in the kitchen, really liked it. :)

Sorry that my cooking stories never sound like the recipes the rest of you post. I don't measure much and I think this would be good with variations depending on what was in the garden or the fridge. I'll definitely do it again when we butcher in warm weather.

Rainey, I cook much the same way you do - intuitively rather than by recipe. I learned to cook by doing, not by following recipes, and I really like adjusting my seasonings and other ingredients according to availability and my person whim of the moment. :roll:

Recipes are great -- but we need to be able to improvise too.

The only reason I write down a recipe is for other people..the joke around here is " I am glad you liked it, now lets see if I can make it again.." :lol:

mystang89":3lo9zw8k said:
Sounds really good but doesn't the rice get hard when it cools off?

In her "recipe" the oil and lemon juice should prevent and drying out of the rice...If you are having plain cooked rice dry out try storing it in a zip lock bag with the air squeezed out. :) That is how I store rice for fried rice.

Thanks, everyone. I've been a bit hesitant to post to the recipes section because mine are never very definite. I liked ones that gave me an idea of rabbit meat's possibilities when we were first starting. At first I thought I always needed to cook it slow and with liquid, but have gotten so I use it many ways, find it quite versatile. The other meat we grow ourselves is pork and of course the rabbit is so much leaner that I had to learn to add some sort of fat.

At our house, when the family asks what's for supper, the answer is often "I'm making it up. If we like it we'll name it. If we don't I won't make it again"

This didn't get dry--not even what was leftover and eaten the next day.

Latest posts

Back