Rabbit and Rice Casserole

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
This was originally a chicken dish but I substituted rabbit and it was great. This is from a cookbook that was done by my Dad's family as a fundraiser for the family reunion. My daughter LOVES this dish. I usually double it.

1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 1/2 to 3lb cut-up fryer
1c long grain rice
1 (15 oz) can chicken broth
1 (2oz) can diced pimentos
2 Tbsp. snipped parsley

Combine first 4 ingredients. Place rabbit in 8x12x2 in glass baking dish and sprinkle with seasoning. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients and pour into baking dish arranging rabbit over rice. Cover and bake 40 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (actually took 15 min longer because I dropped the cooking temperature over the original).

The only changes I made to this recipe is to substitute rabbit for chicken and I changed the cook times and temperature a bit. Originally it was 20 to 25 minutes at 425 then add the rice. I was afraid it would dry out the rabbit so I dropped the temperature. You could probably get away with adding everything to the casserole dish at the same time but I haven't tried it.

With the added benefit of being naturally gluten-free for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
(so long as you are careful to use spices and broth that do not contain any)

and it's dairy free for the lactose intolerant. :)

:dinner:

Back