R.I.P my sweet baby

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
As most of you know she had snuffles, it was only getting worse as time went. R.I.P. Buttons the Magnificent. I love you so much and I always have and will.
13101288_1780947225474181_482887266_n.jpg

So very sorry to see this when I logged on today. As hard as it was, you did make the right choice. I am very concerned for your others, since you said you had her for 3 years. She likely got it from someone new coming in, maybe the buck you bred her to? I cant say because I am not there, but watch the others closely......I hope it starts and stops with her, but pasturella is a nasty illness:( I have had some near brushes with what I thought was going to turn into that, but thankfully it was not. One had a runny eye, and I was able to cure him by putting in drops of pen g just like eye drops, directly into his eye, and massaging the eye with warm water. I also used visine once a day. But he never sounded like it was respiratory, didn't have any snot at all (let alone thick white), and it was isolated to one eye. Sometimes you can get lucky, but yours was obviously in much worse shape with more symptoms:(

I know I made the right choice. She was very sick. I'm ok and I've calmed down now after I put her in the river. She was a high stress rabbit because she wasn't treated the best in the beginning *Not by me or by my choice* She's better now. She's not sick now. When I picked up the body, she wasn't there any more, which kinda helped me with my process. It was just a body, not her. I miss her so much.

You did a good thing to try and give her a better life with you, and once you are ready I am sure there will be another rescue bunny that will need your love and attn. Or maybe you will want to enjoy a non high-stress rabbit. Whatever is next for you, it will get better and open new opportunities.

No more high-stress rabbits for me. I loved her to bits and I've had her since she was only 9 weeks. She was 3 years old this past may. I'm glad I got to keep one of her babies from her first litter who is now 2 and not high stress... From what I've read high-stress is what causes them to get sick.. I suppose being moved to a new house and then being moved from one cage to another and being separated from the other two she was with. I guess though it was good I separated her because what if she would've got sick while the others were in her cage and then all 3 would've had to be put down... It's sad to see her go but all around it was for the better. She was high-stress, high-anxiety.. Also I just had a thought, more of a question, I kinda wanna know if she caught the disease or had it? My dad's the one who got her for me from a breeder who wasn't exactly the cleanest *From what I remember it looked overcrowded and very unclean* But she also was set free by someone at one point while I was gone for Thanksgiving weekend *Not by choice* Could she have got it while she was loose for about a week?

So sorry . . . but you made the responsible choice, both for her and your other rabbits.

Pasteurella is a strange kind of disease. Many, many rabbits carry it and never show any sign of it. Sometimes, stress will bring it to the surface and the rabbit will suddenly show full-blown symptoms. This is one of the reasons people quarantine new rabbits -- the stress of moving is one of the things that often triggers latent pasteurella. It's a difficult situation when this happens, with the buyer saying you sold me a sick rabbit and the seller saying that it was fine while it lived with me.

Well it used to be her, her daughter, and grand daughter that shared a cage, very happily might I add. But I moved out of my moms and wasn't able to bring the cage with me so they were housed in a smaller cage but still very happy to be together (They liked to cuddle) well after I got more cages and took the time to keep the new doe with her kits and the bucks away from my current rabbits for a while. But even then the three girls still got split up into separate cages, which I think didn't help with her stress any. It seems like since she's been here things have been crazy but then they settle but it's understandable for her to be stressed out. I think separating them was honestly what started her downward spiral. Plus more people started visiting the rabbits, not petting but just going and seeing them. New people/strange people = Added stress. I think all in all a rabbitry/farm shouldn't be home to a high-stress rabbit.. I fought myself for about a month before she got sick as to whether I should give her to someone else or bring her inside where it's less stressful. But I didn't want to part ways with her and there wasn't space inside. When she first got sick I was very stressed and I have been since because I could see her fading away as she got worse, I thought it was allergies so I didn't mess with it much I just left her alone and figured it'll be better soon, the weather is just really crazy right now. But better never happened. Pasteurella is definitely not fun and I'm glad I came here and asked for advice even though it was anything but what I wanted to hear. It helped that my boyfriend was out there with the friend and he said there was no pain for her, she went quickly and hardly twitched. It made me feel better to know it was quick and painless... I'm just so glad she's not sick any more... She'll never be sick again and that makes me very happy. She was my baby and I loved her to bits, but again I'm happy she's not sick and hurting any more.

Latest posts

Back