Quick! How much for a pet rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Some friends of ours want to buy one of our Cal-Zil crosses for a pet. How much do you charge for a pet rabbit, no papers, cage, etc.?

Wow! $35-80 for a pet bunny? I don't think I could get away with charging that much for a pedigreed proven show rabbit around here! Since these are friends, and I know they'll be very conscientious rabbit owners, I'm thinking more along the $10-15 range.

Also thinking about teaching them how to make their own cage (they would cover the cost of materials). I think they would enjoy that, and it would save them some money.

My thought is that they're $35 or 40 in a pet store, so as a responsible breeder, with healthy animals that so no signs of malnurishment nor disease, they should be worth at least that much.

ShadedNightRabbitry":oynbp8m5 said:
My thought is that they're $35 or 40 in a pet store, so as a responsible breeder, with healthy animals that so no signs of malnurishment nor disease, they should be worth at least that much.
I don't think the pet stores even sell them around here. Too easy to get them for a lot less at the feed store.

If I sell pets I ask $40.00 to scare away the flakes, but most of the time I'd rather eat the rabbit then deal with pet people, especially the excessively needy ones I always seem to get.

For a friend, $15.00 (and I may even offer them one of my plastic bottom cages I have like a billion of and never use)

If you have more of those plastic bottomed cages than you can use, Devon, I hope you will consider donating some to people doing small animal rescue work. :)

Trinity, for friends, I would say $10 - $15... or whatever amount compensates for the care and feed to raise the rabbit. If you end up selling rabbits for pets on a larger scale, you will likely want to ask more.

trinityoaks":wcuvwbvb said:
ShadedNightRabbitry":wcuvwbvb said:
I don't think the pet stores even sell them around here. Too easy to get them for a lot less at the feed store.

Huh. Our three feedstores around here only sell chicks, never rabbits. Actually, I'm sure they'd be interested in buying some, since no one but me and one or two other people raise rabbits in this city, but I'd had to know what kind of places they end up. As dwarfs, they're not worth much for meat, but they're the perfect size for a snake just moving up to rabbits. D=

I usually charge $20 for pet rabbits, and they get a small amount of the food they're used to, bunny care information, and a health/temperament guarantee. I also offer ongoing support/advice and will take the rabbit back at no charge if they decide they don't want it or can't care for it any more. Thinking about raising my price to $25.

There are so many people breeding pet rabbits around here that unless it's purebred you'll be lucky to give it away. My temporary plan of making some crossbreeds involved offering them for $5 but I changed my mind. Purebred or from good thought out breeding plans but no pedigree and not show quality maybe $20. $40 seems to be the standard with pedigree irregardless of why someone wants it and sometimes irregardless of quality. I did sell a rabbit that I have no idea his background and can only guess at his breed for $40 but I spent $70 getting him neutered. I can easily see how someone would charge around $80 for a neutered rabbit and some people looking for a house rabbit or wanting to keep multiple rabbits together would probably pay it since they'd end up spending that much anyway along with having to take the rabbit to the vet themselves and after surgery care.

Latest posts

Back