Register

Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,718.00

Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 am

This thread is intended to be a place for members to ask questions about plant safety and uses for rabbits and to suggest plants that they have found to be useful for their own rabbits. There is so much more to learn on this topic... and I look forward to your input.

I will also be posting a list of plants toxic to rabbits. This is always harder to compile since there are degrees of toxicity and many existing lists throw everything in there that might possibly be toxic to any animal species. I have seen clover and alfalfa on such lists because of photo-sensitivity issues that do not apply to rabbits. Again, ask your questions here and post your experiences, good and bad, so that we can learn together.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Rainey

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Re: Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Brody » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:04 pm

My rabbits have TOTALLY enjoyed supplementing hay this winter with dried sugar maple leaves ... and some willow leaves too :)
I will run out by mid January - hope the bunnies don't hate me
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 1,864.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby avdpas77 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:36 pm

A word about "sweet" clover (Melilotus officinalis/M. alba)

Sweet clover contains a substance known as coumarin, which is a blood thinner. It is the substance which gives its sap that characteristic smell. If the plant is damaged or "smashed" like is done when making hay, it can get a mold that is not readily obvious, which causes the coumain to be converted to dicoumarin, a much stronger blood thinner. Both substances are in the same group of chemicals as "wafarin" and other progressive rodent poisons. These chemicals inhibit the usage of Vitamin K in mammals. (Alfalfa, btw, contains a fair amount of vitamin K.)

One should be judicious about feeding the green plant or the hay.

A more in depth explanation can be found by Googling "sweet clover toxicity"
breeder of the Midwest's most mixed up pedigreed rabbits

The following user would like to thank avdpas77 for this post
MaggieJ, Noahbunny, rabbit@rtist, WildWolf

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks, Avdpas77, for the helpful information about sweet clover. I knew it was not considered a desirable plant for rabbits, but I never knew why. Now I do. :)

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Anntann » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 am

What about duckweed? Anyone know about that aquatic plant? it's invasive, but HIGH in protein (50%) so I was thinking about a simple manmade pond to harvest it.....

Ducks can eat it nicely, if that's a help.

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

I'm pretty sure it is safe, but let me look into it further. I was thinking of growing it in a tank for my geese for winter greens but didn't manage to harvest any before freeze-up.

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby currycomb » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:42 pm

what are you considering sweet clover? red clover white clover ladino clover?

Site Supporter

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Anntann » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm

The tall lanky sweet clover. not the small red and purple and white round headed clovers (different genus all together). The sweet clovers are tall, with long spikes for seedheads. long taproots.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=meof will give you a few images.
Avdpas77 did give the latin plant designation: Melilotus officinalis/M. alba (alba is the white type)

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Neither of the sweet clovers - yellow or white - are considered safe for rabbits. Thanks for the links to pictures, Ann, and for providing botanical names.

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby currycomb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:22 pm

thanks for the clarification, i was starting to panic, we have orchard grass and clover hay we feed to the rabbits, round headed type clover. they love it, and haven't noticed any problems with it. we give to moms for nesting material and munchies

BunnyBucks: 1,679.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Farm Girl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:00 pm

I was wondering if anybody feeds peppers to their rabbits?
I'm going to plant my peppers today and if they were good I'd plant extra.
Farm Girl

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

In trying to woo Pearl away from springing a leak in the water line to the toilet, I offered her a piece of crepe myrtle branch - likely Lagerstroemia indica, but possibly Lagerstroemia faurei. It is my understanding from the 3bunnies site that this is safe for rabbits. They didn't have the Latin name, and didn't respond to my query, but there is no other plant referred to as a crepe myrtle.

Pearl gnawed hers a little, preferring to lick it. Perhaps it was too large for her liking, or maybe she just didn't like it. Thumper gnawed the bark off of some of his piece.

That not being a big hit with Pearl, and with her continuing to munch on the water line, I had to get something else besides the hay, the toilet paper rolls, the cereal box, etc. I knew pear was safe, so I went out and lopped off a large twig of Bradford pear - Pyrus calleryana, cultivar Bradford, and hoped that ornamental pear, still being from the rose family.

It was budding, and those were the first parts to go, followed by bark and the small tips of the twig.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
DeniseT

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Sounds like you are doing fine, Miss M. I'm not familiar with the plants down south, so am of limited help to you. Matching pictures to the plant your have in your yard to establish botanical names sometimes works... Google Image searches are great for that.

I'm not familiar with Bradford pear. I generally do not feed ornamentals, just out of caution, but you are going about it right... checking the plant family and starting with just a little.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Anntann » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I tried green peppers with mama-san..she wouldn't eat them. Out in the garden last year, the cotton tails ate the bottoms off all my tomatoes, but completely left the peppers (which they had to go past to get to the tomatoes) alone.

However, I see that the bunny sites out there for home rabbits, etc., say that green peppers are just fine..right up there with romaine, chard, etc.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:37 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Sounds like you are doing fine, Miss M. I'm not familiar with the plants down south, so am of limited help to you. Matching pictures to the plant your have in your yard to establish botanical names sometimes works... Google Image searches are great for that.

I'm not familiar with Bradford pear. I generally do not feed ornamentals, just out of caution, but you are going about it right... checking the plant family and starting with just a little.

Thanks, Maggie! Yeah, we are a little farther south, aren't we? :lol:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Next