Questions and comments about plant safety for rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoodat":239ij43r said:
The leaf and flower shape look like chicory but the yellow color throws me off. Chicory flowers are normally blue.

Hmmmmm. I have feed some of the very small leaves spareingly without ill effects. There is a TON of it around the yard, and it would be a nice addition to the greens. Maybe I will search Chicory realtives and see what happens.

well i just now managed to read over this whole topic. haha. kinda disappointed to read about the QAL/hemlock/wild parsnip confusion... there are TONS AND TONS here but i'm not sure i trust myself to make sure they are wild carrot or wild parsnip and not hemlock and risk my buns. and i dont even have buns yet...
so... making a list of things to grow to feed em, and a list of things to harvest from the farm/roadsides. checking QAL off my list though.

Jana15":2mvn9jji said:
I found a yummy looking weed while I was scavengeing around today, But i'm not sure what it is! Does anyone know what it is, and if it's safe for bunnys?

The whole plant
jj4j8w.jpg

osetjl.jpg

The flower
2w7l5ah.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

I checked my growing photo collection of safe, wild greens for rabbits (based on a book printed in the UK) and believe the plant is nipplewort. My rabbits devour it. Would post my photos here, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. :oops: The FAQ section is no help in that regard. Would be grateful for an explanation.

Jojuan, there is a tutorial on how to attach photographs etc.

attachment-tutorial-t5.html<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 am __________<br /><br />
ohiogoatgirl":2prn8ohm said:
well i just now managed to read over this whole topic. haha. kinda disappointed to read about the QAL/hemlock/wild parsnip confusion... there are TONS AND TONS here but i'm not sure i trust myself to make sure they are wild carrot or wild parsnip and not hemlock and risk my buns. and i dont even have buns yet...
so... making a list of things to grow to feed em, and a list of things to harvest from the farm/roadsides. checking QAL off my list though.

Queen Anne's Lace is easy to identify. It is exactly the same plant as domestic carrot but still in its original, wild form. The foliage has that distinctive carroty smell. If it doesn't smell like carrot, don't feed it. :)

Jojuan":195z0ari said:
I checked my growing photo collection of safe, wild greens for rabbits (based on a book printed in the UK) and believe the plant is nipplewort. My rabbits devour it. Would post my photos here, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. :oops: The FAQ section is no help in that regard. Would be grateful for an explanation.

I think Nipplewort is a miss, the leaves are different, but the flowers are similiar. Darn it! Anymore guesses?

~Abstract~":184mmtok said:
Jana15":184mmtok said:
I think Nipplewort is a miss,

Where do they come up with these plant names? So gross!

"Wort" in a plant name means it had a beneficial medicinal effect. I don't know the plant nipple wort, but I would guess that it was used for nursing mothers with sore nipples.

Just googled it. I was not far off.
http://www.arthurleej.com/a-nipplewort.html

But that is not the plant we were trying to identify.

The word "wort" is derived from the Old English "wyrt" meaning herb or root. It rhymes with "hurt, blurt, shirt" etc. "Nipple Wort" doesn't sound quite as bad pronounced that way, as compared to "Nipple Wart"! :lol:

Wort is also the liquid that comes from smashed grains, used to brew beer... for medicinal purposes only, of course! :mrgreen:

HOLY COW! Thanks for the heads up on the sweet clover. That might explain why my rabbits have lost a litter or two, due to mama's weaknes, and why a few does seem to have trouble gaining weight during the nursing period. For a few weeks, I was feeding my rabbits about three handfuls of the tall clover (gets about 12 to 18 inches tall) two to three times a week back in early spring. Then I found out that not all clover is created equal. Never knew why until now! Thanks a bunch!

I have a couple branches I need to prune off the apple tree. We do not spray the tree and some of the leaves have "rust" spots on them. I am wondering if it would still be safe for the rabbits to knaw on in their hutches or would you not feed it because of the spots on the leaves?

LauraNJ":qgdx1p97 said:
I have a couple branches I need to prune off the apple tree. We do not spray the tree and some of the leaves have "rust" spots on them. I am wondering if it would still be safe for the rabbits to knaw on in their hutches or would you not feed it because of the spots on the leaves?

I'd think it should be just fine. I'd steer clear of mildew and other fungus, but some rust blemishes on leaves aren't going to cause any issues.

I posted to epiphanize the fact that I was feeding large clover that may have been causing weight retaining problems with my rabbits in the spring. The USDA pic/link I checked turned out to be a completly different type of clover! Thank god...my chickens loved it too. What type of clover gets 1-2 feet tall?

BunnyStuff...":1tt5c9y4 said:
I posted to epiphanize the fact that I was feeding large clover that may have been causing weight retaining problems with my rabbits in the spring. The USDA pic/link I checked turned out to be a completly different type of clover! Thank god...my chickens loved it too. What type of clover gets 1-2 feet tall?

What are the flowers like? Size, shape, colour? Could you snap a pic?

I feed my rabbits wild violets- they are everywhere in our yard. I don't know what species, but in the family Viola. this is a really good link on violets, it refers to them as edible for humans, but I know they are edible for rabbits too:
http://ofthefield.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=70
be sure to read the Caution at the bottom of the page!

I was wondering if anyone feeds wood strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) to their rabbits? We have a lot of them, but I haven't given any to the rabbits. They are in the rose family, so I think they are safe.

I also read somewhere that you should avoid giving the rabbits too much calcium and sugar.these were listed:
Broccoli (the whole plant) (high in calcium, also may cause gas)
Carrots (high sugar content)
Carrot tops (high calcium)
Kale (high in calcium, also may cause gas)
Mustard greens (high calcium)
Parsley (high calcium)
Spinach (high in calcium)

It listed carrots, so I'm not sure I can trust it...

I used to give my rabbits kale , it survives the winter here, it never caused any problems , but i think its all about how much you let them have, i always plant kale in the summer , let it over winter, its starts growing when it warms up up early spring and then starts to flower,,,i love the the kale buds in my salads, like spicy little brocoli, the more your pick them the more they make. Also like the baby leaves in my salad.

__________ Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 am __________

Oh yeah also,,kale is very healthy for you.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am __________<br /><br />well, not so good for you if you are someone that develops kidney stones

Yes, the leaves of wild violets and wild strawberries are both fine for rabbits. I have heard - but not confirmed - that violet seeds may be toxic.

Many plants have a lot of calcium but if you are feeding a good variety of plants this should not be an issue. Carrots are indeed very high in sugar (as are apples) and should be fed sparingly. I do feed carrots in winter, but not in huge quantities and I feel the extra energy they supply is beneficial in our colder climate.

Does anyone know anything about black medic? Medicago lupulina. it looks a lot like hop clover- I can't tell the difference between hop clover and black medic.

Latest posts

Back