Questions About Tattooing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm far from doing tattoos on my rabbits but I want to find out what works best for you guys that already do on RT. I was thinking of purchasing a pen for tattoos for my herd as it grows. Let me know about your preference and methods ;)

I bought an EZ-Tatt / Rabbi-Tatt. I can honestly say now, that I am very disappointed in it. They're homemade tattooers out of crest spinbrushes. I wish I had saved myself some dollars and made one myself, then maybe I wouldn't be so miffed with it...

But my biggest gripe is it's poor performance. I have tri needles for it, but still the tattoo is so thin I have to redo my tattoos 3 or 4 times to get it acceptable for the show tables. The needle also has a tendency to stick to deep into the skin sometimes and not back out on it's own, so I have to lift it and start over again. This makes for some long tattooing sessions when doing multiple rabbits, and while I don't think it hurts them too much, they don't like the sound and the amount of time it takes to get them done makes for some really stressed out rabbits by the time I've finished. Not too mention, I'm traumatized by the end of the lot of it too...

I haven't had it long enough to say how well the tatts stay with time, but I can attest that while I have very nice handwriting, tattooing with a pen is whole different ballgame - my tattoos will never be as neat and readable as a clamp style...at least not with this pen.

I recently came across a 5 tipped needle for it, so I'm going to pick up one of those and give it another shot...but I'm pretty certain at this point I'm going to end up buying something else.
I've thought about maybe getting an Inkinator, it seems like it would be a way better pen tattooer.....but most likely I think I may just save myself the trouble of another disappointment and just go with the good old clamp style. The speed and neatness of the clamp style is looking very attractive after trying to use this pen.

I use a clamp tattoo-er and it has worked pretty good for me the last several years. They last pretty much forever and I like that the letters and numbers are standardized since my hand might not always be steady (and my handwriting sucks anyway). A breeder showed me to use an old toothbrush to rub the ink in really good and I think the "brushing" motion is soothing to them after the sudden owie. I will never like tattooing, but it is one of those things that if I have to do it then I try to make sure it is done right the first time around so no one has to bother with any touch-up later on and the rabbit only has to go through it for a quick second.

Best of luck!

Lauren

It seems the clamp is very popular from what I've read and what you guys are saying. Particularly I because want to do it right the first time ( and I'm not sure how well my handwriting would be. I wouldn't want them to be subject to my handwriting that varies from day to day :roll: ) I think the clamp is looking best suited for my needs and I really want something that will last. What is a reasonable price to buy a clamp for? References where to purchase them?<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm __________<br /><br />
HendricksHearth":1bn89xw6 said:
A breeder showed me to use an old toothbrush to rub the ink in...

That's a good idea. I believe I saw a youtube video where they suggested it also :) I'll try that for sure when the time comes.

You can get clamps sets at most rabbit supply places, try Bass Equipment, KW Cages or www.woodyswabbits.com. You can get a basic set for $25 - $35 which will give you the clamps, ink, brush, and 0-9 numbers. You could buy a more expensive set if you wanted A-Z - or I have also seen the alphabet set sold separately and by the piece as well.

I have both types- the deluxe clamp set from BASS, with an extra set of numbers, and the Inkinator bought at a show.

I didn't like my results with the clamp set- even piercing through the ears all the way, the ink penetration was poor. I tried it twice, since I had to redo them for the show I went to. I ended up buying an Inkinator (which, btw Typkal, is also a modified toothbrush), and the tats turned out better. In another thread on this subject, someone mentioned old ink being a problem- it could be that the ink included with my clamp set was old, and that was the issue, but I haven't tried using my Inkinator ink with the clamp to compare results. Maybe I'll try that with some of the kits from my current litters, or some of the bucks destined for FC- they still have one empty ear!

MamaSheepdog":26aeizlx said:
I have both types- the deluxe clamp set from BASS, with an extra set of numbers, and the Inkinator bought at a show.

I didn't like my results with the clamp set- even piercing through the ears all the way, the ink penetration was poor. I tried it twice, since I had to redo them for the show I went to. I ended up buying an Inkinator (which, btw Typkal, is also a modified toothbrush), and the tats turned out better. In another thread on this subject, someone mentioned old ink being a problem- it could be that the ink included with my clamp set was old, and that was the issue, but I haven't tried using my Inkinator ink with the clamp to compare results. Maybe I'll try that with some of the kits from my current litters, or some of the bucks destined for FC- they still have one empty ear!

Ah, thank you for that clarification...I don't know anyone personally that has one, and it looked like (and I had hoped that) it was heavier duty than the EZ-Tatts from the catalog photos.

Typykal":2hy3cufm said:
Ah, thank you for that clarification...

Certainly. It is a pleasure to be of service! :D

You mentioned the needles getting stuck- mine kind of got "snagged" a couple of times, and I wonder if it is because I set the sleeve so too much needle was able to protrude. I am going to play with the length of needle exposed and see how that works.

Back