Question! Why a difference in posing at shows?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering, why do Dominion Rabbit & Cavy Breeders Association judges pose Holland Lops flat on the table, and not pose them up like ARBA judges do?
Is it just a difference between the U.S. and Canada? It got me confused! :shock:

Posing is at the judges discretion.

We started a big fight on the Rex FB page, about judges scrunching up Rex like Mini Rex, or posing them like Beverens. Had someone posing HL like Minis and pushing up Jersey Woolies like Nethies.

Did more than one judge pose them like that? Could be the judge wasn't experienced judging Hollands?

Like already said, some just don't know how to pose them...others have other ideas on how they should be posed even with an SOP. I've seen some MR posed like Brits o_O

Sometimes judges flatten my larger netherlands improperly and then tell me they should be shown as polish. :roll: Let the poor things sit up before you suggest things like that. I never really liked shows based on looks for such reasons. You can't get a consistent result from multiple judges so it's often a crap shoot whether your breeding or training was worth it unless you are showing at more major places. It was horrible in horses. I quit showing everything but speed events because timers don't have opinions.

Okay, I see...it was the first show this season, so we'll have to see how they're posed at other shows. It was a little disappointing, because I help some rabbits back that were good but didn't pose properly...aka upright...and now I know I could have sent them!
Thanks for the info, everyone :)

It's a trapdoor discussion to get into, really. 30+ years ago, commercial rabbits were posed much differently than they are today. Not sure where and when it started, but it is annoying to work with rabbits to pose a certain way, only to have a judge mis-pose them and in many ways set your training regimen back, particularly with younger rabbits.

Had an experienced judge in IL several years back work his butt off trying to pose an entire breed of satins like he was judging a bunch of Flemish. Was a frustrating thing to see.

Back