question on supplementing does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebear

Reaction score
Tractor supply is once again out of the Mana pro 18% so I have to go with the 16% and all my does have kits...so I got a bag of rolled oats. ..to supplement. .my question is how much? I have grow outs and three litters about 6 weeks old and two litters of three day olds...all on full feed. Also boss as top dressing because if I mix it in they dig in the j feeder. Thanks for any advice. .they seem to like the oats but not as much as quaker oats... ;)
Ok..just went out for evening feed..all of them with the exception of the 6 week olds left the oats so another question is how do I get them to eat it? Or I am I out 20 bucks for a bag of oats?

Thanks...maybe I can try that...probably going to take it back. The chickens seem to like it but they just want something to scratch. . <br /><br /> -- Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:01 pm -- <br /><br /> They seemed to eat some and a lot less pellets today....cup for cup how much should I give?? Anyone know??

Too much molasses will give small livestock diarrhea. If you got whole oats with the hull they will need to adjust to them. Rabbits don't eat new foods that easily unless it's very appetizing. Steel cut oats have all the flavor, smell, and richest taste right there in the open. Whole oats will have the outside coating that isn't very tasty or high energy so they will have to sample them until they decide to eat them.

akane":3499eobf said:
Too much molasses will give small livestock diarrhea. If you got whole oats with the hull they will need to adjust to them. Rabbits don't eat new foods that easily unless it's very appetizing. Steel cut oats have all the flavor, smell, and richest taste right there in the open. Whole oats will have the outside coating that isn't very tasty or high energy so they will have to sample them until they decide to eat them.

yes-- just be patient, - let them adjust or you may have GI issues

Thanks for the reply all..I am forgoing the molasses. .I don't want to upset tummies. I have 20 Kitts that are 4,5,&6 weeks old. The grow outs are 3 10 week olds and 4 9 week olds. The oats are rolled but still have the hull..just kind of cracked. I don't want to limit the pellets just trying to boost protein. When I go back to Prescott I will go back to T.S.C and check for the 18% feed. They said they had bumped up the order...don't think they were prepared for breeding season...

Oats will lower your protein. They are only about 10-12%. They do increase fat since they can be up to 7% when most rabbit pellets are around 3% as well as more carbs than hay/grass based pellets.

Thank you Akane, I was under the impression that it was a better protein :oops: Guess I was wrong...So for now I will stick to pellets and BOSS ..

katiebear":dki3e23q said:
Tractor supply is once again out of the Mana pro 18% so I have to go with the 16% and all my does have kits...so I got a bag of rolled oats. ..to supplement. .my question is how much? I have grow outs and three litters about 6 weeks old and two litters of three day olds...all on full feed. Also boss as top dressing because if I mix it in they dig in the j feeder. Thanks for any advice. .they seem to like the oats but not as much as quaker oats... ;)
Ok..just went out for evening feed..all of them with the exception of the 6 week olds left the oats so another question is how do I get them to eat it? Or I am I out 20 bucks for a bag of oats?

I think you are worrying too much, just feed the 16% along with what ever they are used to, then when you get a bag of 18% again, gradually switch them back to what they were on before. -for a nursing doe, fat is more important then the extra 2% protein, and for growing rabbits , the difference in the two feeds is not "earth shaking"

Back