Question on kits' eyes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SetskiesD

Reaction score
I have 5 kits. Yesterday 1 kit had both eyes slightly open. Today another had its open (an hour and a half ago). I noticed that the kit that had its eyes open yesterday now has its eyes closed and crusted and so does the one that had its eyes open this morning. I asked this quesion on one of my other posts but I think this needs it's own post. They are 11 days old. The ones with eyes still closed look a little crusted. Do I need to change the bedding or something? If so, what do I do about the fur that was in the nesting box that got mixed in with bedding??

I would change the bedding, saving all the dry fur you can. You can also take a warm damp washcloth and gently clean the crusted eyes.

If the eye problems continue, you may be facing nest box eye. It can be treated with terramycin.

Thank you so much! I will be sure to do so! <br /><br /> -- Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:57 pm -- <br /><br /> Their eyes keep crusting shut. Is it okay to just have them in the nest box without fur and only have bedding? I'm starting to think the fur has bacteria that causes their eyes to crust

As long as it is not terribly cold where you are, they should be fine without fur.

SetskiesD":rm43g7ht said:
Their eyes keep crusting shut. Is it okay to just have them in the nest box without fur and only have bedding? I'm starting to think the fur has bacteria that causes their eyes to crust
If you think that's the problem then clean the box out again. Get a bag of dryer link and try that. You can always go raid the local laundromat an clean their lint traps. :cool: If you don't want to do that a product call "Litter Saver" is available. It's an all natural (fake fur) plant root that is amazingly warm when puffed up and placed in their box. ;) Check your local rabbit supply house.

Back