quandry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I have someone asking me to find them a male angora.

I know that they will use this rabbit for breeding for the pet crowd.

And that worrying about after care (as in how the consumer will care for such rabbit) isn't a huge concern for them.

I"m feeling like...uh no...don't want to help you, but at the same time I'm wanting to help.

What does one do in a situation like that?

One says "no".

Angoras are simply not for the "pet" market. They end up matted and tangled and nasty. Kids don't want to take the time to groom them. Adults either, unless it's a fiber or show home.

Maybe turn him on to another breed that is more pet oriented...lops? minirex? lionheads? I'm not up on the pet market.

Mini-Rex might be a good suggestion. They have that gorgeous plushy fur without the care.

I agree with Ann. Just say no. Think of Brody's Puff Daddy. When she rescued him he could not see for tangles and his ears were matted together. (shudder) I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't feel comfortable contributing to cases like that.

this individual deals with a large variety of rabbits, most for the pet market, some for the meat market, and angoras because people want them as pets.

this person has at least three angora does, has lost the buck and is looking for a replacement.

At $25 they are priced for the pet market.

has mini rex, hollands, dutchies, hotot (dwarf), and a few other breeds.

I still find myself wanting to help but the potential lack of care that angora's tend to be subjected to by the pet crowd really makes me hesitate.

Is this person a good friend? If so, perhaps you could talk to him/her about your reservations. A friend would not pressure you if you have ethical concerns. And if the person is not really a friend, why do you feel you "should" help?

Of course, you could prevaricate. You could say you'll watch for a suitable candidate for his purpose. Since you do not consider Angoras as suitable for pets, none would be "suitable", would they? I don't favour this approach, but it would get you off the hook if you feel you are on it to start with.

you wouldn't have asked if you thought this person would do it right

we support where you are coming from - there is a reason shelters call me as fast as they do for anogora type rabbits (they call about all rabbits as there are so many but I can leave a short coat there adn do other things to help the rabbit and the shelter)

hold firm

What I did was sent this individual to someone who has angoras but doesn't breed them.

And then I wrote a letter to this individual saying why I don't breed angoras as the pet public is often unkind to them and they can end up in a total mess which is not fair to the bunnies or to the pet people as they are so unprepared for the work an angora takes to LOOK and FEEL good. This person has been looking for one for about two months now which I consider good (for the rabbits all ready owned).

I came because I wan't quite sure how to word a "no" but this is why letter. I always just feel compelled to help and I'm learning how to say NO in a kind way. :)

Ethical Angora owners/breeders wouldn't sell to this type of person anyways. Their animals are also priced around the $100. mark or more to discourage the pet buyers.Perhaps this friend has seen the prices angoras can go for and is thinking "easy money"?

wasn't a friend.
was a breeder that sells angora's the pet crowd and lost her male angora and merely wants to keep breeding them.

It depends on what kind of information you prefer to enter Unfortunately, PPC does not come in models with the Council on the keyboard, only in the Treo series. I think you would prefer that the existence of an option anyway. ViewSonic This will be the extension, and Toshiba still does not give them to the E310, so I am not sure of the keyboard support for E330.

Back