Quail (broody?)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year about mid-summer we started off with 25 quail. We ate 2 males, 1 female that was injured. Over the winter they went crazy, and started killing each other. So we have 5 left. 1 male, 4 females. They just started laying again last week, and I so excited to start incubating, but I noticed something different about 1 of the females. I cleaned out the coop, and lined it with fresh straw, while I know that quail like to dig, and kick around their bedding. This one female made a patch in the back corner of the enclosed part of the coop, and will only lay eggs IN that spot. Normally they just popped out the egg wherever in the coop, usually never in the same spot. She will continually sit in that spot. Even after I've collected the eggs. She'll get up a time, or 2 to get a drink, maybe eat a little then back to her nest. While I know that they can hatch their own eggs. I've read that it is "rare" (using the term lightly) for a domestic Coturnix Quail to actually hatch their own eggs, which is why a lot of people who have quail, incubate their eggs. So with all of that being said I do believe that she has gone broody.

My question is: Should I let her have a few eggs, and see how she does?

Sorry to hear your quail went cannibal :( it took me half a year of selective breeding to get aggressive insticts weeded out of my bloodline

Some of my hens will lay in a box I have for them and even act broody but they rarely last the 16+ days it takes to hatch out chicks

Latest posts

Back