Purebred White Silver Fox

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, in my last litter I have two REW's, yes they are meat mutts, and both parents carry the dilute gene I'm assuming. I want to keep one of the,kits if it's a doe and breed her to a Lilac Silver Fox buck. Now this might be stupid but if I keep a white kit from each litter and continue breeding to Silver Fox bucks that carry the dilute will I eventually get a purebred Silver Fox?

I don't know if that works or not but here's where my logic comes from. I'm 1/2 German 1/2 American/Irish,etc., no matter what my kids will be like 1/4 German, Now I might be very wrong with all of this but it sounded like a good idea to me so I figured I'd share it. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas? If this would work I'm going to do it because it would be amazing.

I don't mean to be a downer, but if I was looking for a silver fox, I would want to be able to see...Silver. Not sure how that works in a white rabbit.

Hmm, true, but it would also be very cool to have a white one, even if nobody bought them, I'd have one for myself I suppose. When I see my SF I've noticed the white ticking is a bit longer than the rest of the fur, which makes me more interested to see if you could tell it was an SF if it was solid white, I'm really curious if these two white kits will have the white ticking like most of my mutts have so far.

There's already a few lines of white silver fox, by the way

After enough generations, if the kits were consistently producing silver fox traits, you could call them purebred silver fox. But make sure that if bred to the other colors, they don't produce something crazy, and if you ever do sell them, tell the people that X was bred in X generations ago to get white. And some people still won't call them silver fox, because they lack visible silvering, one of the signature traits of a silver fox

I figured there were already lines of white and I can also understand why people wouldn't want to call it a Silver Fox. Maybe I shouldn't put so much effort into it, especially since I'll probably be the only one interested. I'm in love with both black and white bunnies, which is why I'm in super love with albino animals and their fascinating eyes.

I think you are taking about the c gene, which produces ruby eyed white rabbits, and not the d dilute gene, which produces blue rabbits, right?

To answer the question.. Yes, you can get a white rabbit with the coat and type of a silver fox.

Mixing a silver fox with a different coated breed will produce coats that are greatly reduced in quality. It will take several generations to get the length and density back. (I have plenty of experience with this, since I spend a couple years playing with my own Silver Fox crosses.) That really isn't a problem is you have the space and uses for all the culls.

The real question is whether any of the crosses are actually silver fox rabbits.

The only thing that defines a breed in the US is ARBA breed standards, which pretty much only serve the purpose of exhibition. There are tons of breeders out there that will argue up a storm about how a miscolored rabbit still belongs to this or that breed if it's parents were recognized , but, if an arba judge will not recognize it... Then it has zero potential for showing.
Breeding one will eventually produce more unshowable rabbits ( As in more rabbits that would not be recognized as the breed by ARBA.)

The real catch though, is when a mixed breed is sold as a member of a breed.. Even if a kit from a mixed line otherwise conforms to standard, there will be a high chance that it is carrying recessive genes or modifiers that will crop up in later litters, reducing the show potential of future kits.

Especially if the mixed line is created for the purpose of expressing non-recognized colors or traits, and not done to IMPROVE a breeds show traits.

It's kind of an expensive waste to have to cull a lot of non showable and often non marketable juniors.

Many breeders wouldn't even TRY to sell miscolored purebred kits, as a matter or preserving their reputation among other breeders.

Since the only real purpose of pure breeds in the US is for showing, I feel, it's best to sell mixed rabbit lines as mixed rabbits.

Either as designer rabbits (with their own breed name, like maybe "Arctic fox" or "Snow Fox", idk, just make sure buyers are aware it's not a recognised breed), or as plain old meat mutts. That way, their genetics would be much less likely to end up harming show rabbit lines down the road.

Latest posts

Back