Pumpkin--first time momma!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Pumpkin had her first kits at 11pm last night. She made a fantastic nest--perhaps the most fur lined nest I have seen; she allowed me to watch and photo the whole time... I even scratched her head and talked to her. Saw the little ones start to eat, placenta eating etc. amazing!

oh, she had 5.

So the eyes are open--not even two weeks! Wow...<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:08 pm __________<br /><br />at two weeks, the five weigh 2 lbs...

Just weighed them:

1 week 1 lb
2 weeks 2 lbs
2.5 weeks 2.5 lbs

Doesn't this seem light? I am concerned about Mom's milking ability. Mom isn't cleaning up all her food; granted I feed oats and hay, its lighter in protein but more natural.

Thoughts?

I don't weigh kits routinely, but those weights sound okay to me. The major growth spurt seems to come later on.

Your hay may be too light in protein. I feed an alfalfa hay for the most part. Grass hay is excellent for GI tract health and for satisfying the nibbling urge so that rabbits don't overeat on concentrates, but it is quite low in protein. If you can't get alfalfa hay, how about a hay with a good clover content?

Comfrey is an interesting possibility for adding protein. There is a certain amount of controversy about its routine use, but it has been used for a long time as animal feed. You might want to read up on it and get some plants started come spring. It is a perennial and can be invasive in some areas... not a bad thing if you are using it as feed.

Latest posts

Back