Pulling it all together: Worming the colony w natural foods

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
So, thinking about starting a 3-4 times a year regime of pumpkin seeds and grapefruit seed extract to keep the rabbits, especially the colony rabbits, in good shape. Apparently these things are safe and healthy for regular use, so I don't see how this could possibly hurt.

BUT, how effective will it be? The folks that use these things swear by them, but I'm still skeptical. I do see the need for regular worming, though, and I would hate to subject my bunnies to those nasty chemicals 2-3 times a year. :(

It takes something like 30 days for the pumpkin seeds to work on worms, from what I've read. but they DO work. Since they dont' really hurt the rabbit, I wonder if you couldn't just do 1month on, 1 month off regimen?

Certainly worth the effort for a few months to see how it goes. Since you're in the really cold part of the world, you shouldn't have a LOT of problems with worms from the ground. For a few months at most. Then frost kills them off until the next spring.

Pumpkin seeds are very nutritious and can be a valuable part of the rabbit's diet.

Why do you feel that the rabbits will need regular worming, Rachel? Is it because you are showing them? Parasites have to come from somewhere, so if you are not showing and not bringing in new stock, a one-time thorough worming should do the trick, I would think.

I do show, and I also live in an area where feral cats come and go as they please, and also take my own dog out and about a lot. (She will be undergoing a worming routine of her own!) Since many of the rabbits are on the ground, I feel like they could be exposed to these things at any time just due to me walking through the yard and then into the barn. I am also planning on adding more stock several times this year, so I would like to just go ahead and establish a good routine that works, especially if it's a non-toxic one.

Ann brings up a good point about the cold weather though. perhaps a 2x a year program would be sufficient.

Okay, I understand your concern in light of your circumstances. Ann is right that your deep freeze will help keep the parasites under control. Fortunately, pumpkin seeds as a feed have so much going for them... The only problem I have with them is that they are a tad expensive.

This link to nutrient info for seeds and nuts might be of some use to you. Not everything there is suitable for rabbits, but it's a handy reference anyway.
http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/n ... chart.html

And another:
http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Org ... 0Seeds.htm

Has anyone used black walnut hull tincture on rabbits? My mom used to make us drink the stuff when we were kids. It tastes horrible though, rabbits probably wouldn't even touch it.

Back