Pulling fur?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEP board

Reaction score
Will a doe pull fur for any reason other than preparing a nest? My second doe was breed the day after the doe that had a kindle about two weeks ago. She never delivered so I figured it didn't take. I breed her again, about a week and a half ago but the she didn't seem to lift nor did the buck fall over. So I didn't press the matter further. Today she has a small pile of fur next to her in her cage. Wasn't there last night so some time today she pulled it. Just to be cautious we put in a nesting box. She dove in and started scratching around.

She's had one kindle a few months ago that only yielded two kits that were still born.

Could she be pregnant and nesting early? Is there another reason for pulling fur?

In my experience it would be a false pregnancy if it's within less than 3 weeks she was with a buck. Some of these are mild with just some haystashing, others leave the rabbit seriously plucked. I saved quite a stash of fur ( may come in handy later) from most of my does due to false pregnancys.

But you'll never know for sure until her due time is over, put a nestbox in then anyway.

What I do if I'm not sure if a doe is bred is that I just put her to the buck, just for a few minutes - when she refuses, and is quite vocal, chances are good that she's already bred and I take her out right away.

Agreed. This is most likely a false pregnancy, but you should prepare anyway just in case:)

Most likely a pseudo-pregnancy like others have mentioned but here's more information: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Pseu_preg/pseudo_en.htm

Agreed that there's no harm in putting in a nest box just in case.

Good luck!

Back