Pseudomonas bacteria. >:(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyralisdawn

Reaction score
Last summer, I posted about a litter of Rex kits I had that started sneezing, had two of them tested through PAVLAB and both came back positive for Pseudomonas. They were out of the main rabbitry in a separated grow-out area before they even started to sneeze at 11 weeks, I culled them all at 16 weeks, none of my other rabbits were affected, not even other litters of Californian grow-outs housed right next to them for months. I assumed it was related to weaning stress or they just weren't a good genetic combo, never had any other problems before or after that.

Since then, we moved two states away and brought our breeding stock with us on the long journey. I have a Rex buck who I've had since last summer and has always been healthy, who wasn't from that litter (but is from related bloodlines) who has just started sneezing, had him tested and it came back as Pseudomonas again. :( He is quarantined and his symptoms are pretty mild and not worsening (similar to the litter), but I'm trying to figure out why my Rex seem to have this issue, and no other rabbits. I'm guessing it was the stress of the journey that made him vulnerable? My Rex doe, who is the mother of the previously stated litter and from similar bloodlines as the Buck (who is not the father of the previous litter), has never been ill.

TL;DR, Are Rex rabbits more prone to allergies, respiratory issues, or stress than other breeds? Or do I just have some weak genetics in my Rex lines (I'd be surprised, they are all from Caroline Davis)? I had one of my non-Rex rabbits cultured this time as well for comparison and no Pseudomonas from them. I'm thankful it's not Pasturella, at least... but trying to figure out why just my Rex!

TIA for any insights.

Normally I'd say it could be a particularly potent variant of pseudomonas but since your other rabbits are not effected it is likely poor immune system genetics in your Rex

When breeding for show one of the first problems to arise are health issues - the dog (and cat and horse) show world is a perfect example and why many are turning to working bloodlines and "designer" dog breeds in the hopes of getting a healthier animal

Latest posts

Back