Problems with eyes in Holland Litter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a litter of Hollands who are 4 weeks or so now. 2 of them I noticed yesterday with some kind of eye issue, looks like infection of some type, the eyes are crusted shut and last night they appeared quite swollen after doing the "tea bag treatment" I usually employ for this type of thing. I went to bring them in tonight to repeat the treatment because all of the affected eyes had closed again with what appears to be irritation to the eye balls themselves. I'm really hoping I caught this soon enough to prevent any vision loss, but is there some better treatment for this? I have seen this before in the Hollands while breeding them, but never to this extent. I cleaned the eyes again tonight with tea and cut some of the hair around the eyes to prevent it from getting into the eye as much as I could.. what causes this and how do I treat if there is a better option than traditional tea?

Ive heard of many people using neosporin in their eyes when they have pink eye. And read about the use in bunnies eyes. So I tried it. Seemed to work along with the tea bags.
Not a vet tho.. so research before you try anything

i wouldn't use neosporin personally, it has a bunch of chemicals in it that may not be safe for rabbits, and if they lick it off they can get sick.

it sounds like nest box eye which is caused from the nest getting dirty. i would change the bedding out first thing - they don't need the fur anymore, just hay or wood shavings, whichever you like best. it's pretty common but can cause blindness if not treated promptly. and of course, prevention is key.

i would keep a bottle of clindamycin (most common brand name is veterycin) drops on hand for eye issues. it's made for animals and you can buy it on amazon for about $15 in the US. a drop or two a day and keeping with the tea bag treatments or flushing with saline solution to keep the eyes from crusting open should clear it up lickity split :)

I picked up a bottle of the Vetericyn Opthalmic Gel I think is what it's called.. $32.99 OUCH! Hopefully it helps clear it up! Thanks for your help guys!

Definitely use the vetricyn (sp?) And also, torch the nest box when kits are done with it!

To help prevent this in the future, consider torching all nestboxes. Then, at the end of the first week, remove the entire contents of the nest box and replace with fresh hay. Babies are furred by this time and can get by with hay only. Then, replace hay each week of nest box use.

It is good that you jumped on this early!

don't mean to hijack the thread, but can you safely torch wooden boxes? all of mine are wood and wire and i spray them with vinegar and set them in the sun for several hours but if i could use a torch without like, burning them that'd be ideal.

Back