Problems....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
First off:

What I want with my rabbits is two good lines. One a Tri/Harlequin the other more 'main' colors for really good show rabbits.

Problem #1:
I feel like I don't have enough cage room. My cage total is 10. I don't really want to buy more cages, but I also feel that that isn't enough to actually get anywhere with my program.
Is true?
Or can I improve with that small of a rabbitry?
How can I maximize my space?
Any good ideas there?

Problem #2:
It seems like I have all these 'parts' rabbits....and I can't seem to put it all together. I have a grand total of 5 bucks. And getting another one. They are all part bucks I think. If I could get them all into one rabbit I'd be good!
Can I really use them to get a good rabbit in the end?
Will I keep the juniors and grow them out? But then I'm back to cage room :(

Problem #3:
Tris. If I cross them properly, I know I could get some good ones. Again, will I grow them out? Room? Will it work?

Problem #4:
Showing. I'd love to show. But in reality that (for several reasons) isn't very doable. I know I have some that could potentially do well. I love seeing other peoples rabbits. I'm really hoping to do the ARBA show in Meaford. And of course our local fall fair - I'm setting it up so, lol, I'll be there :D

How do I get the most out of my space without buying more cages?
I'm also waiting for a couple of juniors to grow up enough to breed them. For my tris.

FIVE bucks? :eek: That's half your cage space right there!

I agree with Caroline that I would stick with one variety ideally- but if that is just not a possibility, get yourself down to two bucks... even if that means culling all of the bucks you have and buying two really nice animals at the upcoming show.

:yeahthat:

Or maybe, cull down to two bucks and leave one cage empty for growing out the best buck of a litter. If it is an improvement over one of your two breeders, swap it out and rinse and repeat until you're happy.

There is never enough cage space.

Glad 10 cages can be made to work, Carolyne!

Yeah, it seems I'm a buck hog :D Two are for the tris - which I need cause they're all related in some way or another - though I'd really like to get one really nice one. Which right now seems almost impossible.
The other three, well, it's like "well that one has a good topline/bone, that one really nice head/ears and that one nice and and shoulders" So yeah. I'm a buck hog :lol:

Thanks for the tip, Marinea! And aww, really? NEVER enough cage space? How sad! :(

MamaSheepdog":3gug6ku7 said:
FIVE bucks? :eek: That's half your cage space right there!

I agree with Caroline that I would stick with one variety ideally- but if that is just not a possibility, get yourself down to two bucks... even if that means culling all of the bucks you have and buying two really nice animals at the upcoming show.

Yeah really .... I find it difficult to justify keeping 2 bucks in my 11 holes.

part of the problem is finding GOOD tris in Ontario.

I have a tri-buck who is typey but lacking in good colour.
I am hopeful he will bring up the type on my does.

It would be great to work with someone on my tricolours.... but it's hard cause we are so spread apart. :)

I would reduce your bucks if you can and make a decision on what you really want to breed.

Around here, Hollands are extremely competitive in the show world. If you are serious about showing and want to do well with only 10 holes, I would pick one variety and stick to it.

Next, limit your number of bucks. Five is way more than you need, plus it is going to be harder to get a consistent line going with that much variation in your genetics.

Find a mentor that can help you evaluate and can possible help you train your eye to be able to cull early. You amy also want to consider a partnership where you could share some animals with someone else looking to keep their herd small. Our mentor helps out my kids by letting us breed to her bucks at times. She has one of our bucks in a less common variety at her place she is using right now.

Just a few things to think about! I would have a really hard time staying with 10 holes! It's easy for me to say what I would do in theory, but carrying it out is much more difficult!

Latest posts

Back