Probios vs Bene-bac

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
After noticing that my litter was having some mushy poop butts at 4wks, it was suggested that I put them on just hay and water for two days and treat them with bene-bac.

After two days, the little butts were all clear, so I have them a handful of pellets, shared with momma, yesterday. I'm hoping to still see clear butts this morning, but I would still like to give them a probiotic to help them along.

I was not able to find bene-bac anywhere locally, but I did find a small tub of proviso, which I purchased yesterday. Should that be a good alternative to bene-bac? Or should I return it and order the bene-bac online?

Also, is the dosage that important? If I feed them the probios, can I just sprinkle it in with some pellets and oats and let them go at it? There are 9 kits (plus mom), so should I just dump in a tablespoon full or so for the whole crew? Can it hurt them?

The first time I used probiotics for a rabbit, I just used a powdered product that I already had on hand for our horses. I sprinkled it on the feed as you intend to do.

As long as the proviso lists grazing or browsing animals it should have the right bacteria. Gut flora differs between species and especially differs between carnivores,omnivores, and herbivores.

Ok, great! I just gave the little piranhas a mixture of some chopped cilantro (just a little), pellets, oats and the Probios. Hopefully they will tolerate it well. All bunny butts have been 'clear' for at least a day.

As a side note, the babies are THRILLED with their new waterer (chick waterer) filled with ACV water. Momma loves it too. Best. Investment. Ever. I couldn't believe how cheap it was at Tractor Supply. It was about $5 I think... that's a better price than the big lick bottles I bought there. :D

waterer.jpg

Isn't the chick waterer the best!!??!! And you're right about the price!! Somebody in my crew is having a poopy butt too, so today is day 2 of hay and oats. The one whom I suspected of poopy butt is cleared up but will continue to eyeball everyone!! What breed are your babies Syber?

EnglishSpot":cqvq2oc4 said:
Isn't the chick waterer the best!!??!! And you're right about the price!! Somebody in my crew is having a poopy butt too, so today is day 2 of hay and oats. The one whom I suspected of poopy butt is cleared up but will continue to eyeball everyone!! What breed are your babies Syber?

These babies are a cross between Mini-Lop (buck) and... I'm not sure on the Doe. I was TOLD that she is a harlequin dutch. Others have told me she can't be a dutch because her pattern isn't right. I do know that she was part of a breeding program to CREATE harlequin Dutch rabbits, but was 'retired' because she lost a couple of litters in a row.

This was an accidental breeding, but it seems like she's been a VERY good momma. I'm a bit disappointed though, it looks like none of the babies will be lop eared. They're a little over 4wks old and, I believe, they should be lopping by now if they were going to. :/ They all DO, however, seem to have the nice fluffy coat from Dad.

Latest posts

Back