Princess my first Holland Lop!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cav.

Reaction score
Just recently got a Holland Lop! I absolutely love her!! Although shes been in my home for just 3 days, Im kind of sad that she doesnt let me pick her up :( The moment she hears the cage open she goes and hides under the shelf.

I know it takes a week or two to have her get used to her new environment...but just want to be reassured! Havent been sleeping well as Im quite worried about her adapting to the new environment!

Any suggestions?

Heres a picture of my beautiful!

5115298698_f93b394a88_z.jpg

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Cav. :hi:

Cute as a button, isn't she?

Don't rush her and she'll be fine. Woo her with healthy treats... through the wire at first and then with the door open. Proceed slowly to nose rubs and ear rubs. When she starts coming to you you'll know she's settling in.

Some rabbits have more problems with stress than others. Take your cue from her and you'll both do fine. I know you want to cuddle her now, but a bit of patience in the first couple of weeks will pay off in the years to come.

oh WOW! That's awesomely cute! I can see why you want to pick her up! :) Welcome to the forum, and I bet after you give her a few days to get used to you, and are giving her little treats (Maggie once suggested to me whole grain bread, dried..and WOW do my buns love that!) she'll come over and welcome you to her cage! little nose rubs seems to be welcomed, too.

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome!!

I guess she is a tad frightened due to me switching her to 2 small cages in the beginning while shopping for a larger case...which then led to another move! Also rearranging her layout as I see things not working out >_> Probably stressing her out!

Although you guys said dont touch it...Ive already have many times. Head rubs and around her back/cheeks. She doesnt budge so I assume she enjoys it. I have been feeding it hay from my hands, but keeping my distance!

I will try bread crust as my breeder said they love them :)

Oh, I didn't mean you shouldn't touch her at all... just not to rush her. If she is okay with the petting, then that's a good sign.

Some rabbits relax while listening to soft music. My son had a pet rabbit when he was a kid. Buffy swooned for the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody. She was a super rabbit. :)

Congrats! What a cute bun! Give her a little time to get used to the new surroundings and to get used to you also. Ive had my Elop for about a month now and it did take about a week for him to adjust to his new surroundings and really relax.
I know what ya mean about wanting to cuddle them. My bun is very affectionate but I wish I could get him to cuddle too... he really dislikes being held or picked up.

Well, at least I know my bunny is ok being held and picked up because I picked her up and held her in my arms while I was at the breeder. Im sure with enough time your bunny will grow to let you pick her up and hold her!

Is it normal for the bunny to always run to one spot and stay still when opening the cage, or getting near her? Thats what she does when I open the cage/she hears things going on with the cage/or me taking off the towel on the cage to give her some light.

Aww I'm sure you'll all be great friends in no time! My neighbor has a H lop and he is a doll. He's always very eager to see if anyone has brought him something. (It did take some time for him to become this way)
Congrats to you!

She's a cutie bun! :cute:

I'll add that a couple of raisins offered occasionally go over very well. :) Not too often, though!

When we got Pearl, she was a scaredy-bun. Bunny-Wan Kenobi (my son) loved her into submission. Now she comes over and tries to help you open the door, and then demands that you give her a thorough head rub. And she'll let you do it as long as you want. She never has warmed up to being held, and I understand that is the way some bunnies are.

Hehe thanks!! I will give her lots of time, Ill just talk to her and feed her a bit, hopefully she will be comfortable with coming out of the cage soon and get some exercise! And cute name btw, Bunny-Wan Kenobi heheh

Btw, I was reading that I shouldnt feed too much pellets (just 1/4 cup) to my bunny and really just feed her fresh hay and 2-4 cups of fresh veggies a day? I probably shouldnt give her a that much veggies at the moment...but should I just give her a bit of carrots today, and move on to others the next, so if she has bad poo, I would know what she cant eat?

Miss M":1g7g0ned said:
She's a cutie bun! :cute:

She never has warmed up to being held, and I understand that is the way some bunnies are.
Thats the way my Elop Pie seems to be. I can pick him up & try to hold him for only few seconds before he twists, turns, tries to kick and just wants to get down. Im an experienced rabbit owner so I know how to hold a rabbit (and his breeder held him often from what I understand)... but he is an older bun (7 months- I got him at 6months) and just doesnt want to warm up to being held. I keep trying though and wont give up. :)

cav.":3tk6nbll said:
Hehe thanks!! I will give her lots of time, Ill just talk to her and feed her a bit, hopefully she will be comfortable with coming out of the cage soon and get some exercise! And cute name btw, Bunny-Wan Kenobi heheh

Btw, I was reading that I shouldnt feed too much pellets (just 1/4 cup) to my bunny and really just feed her fresh hay and 2-4 cups of fresh veggies a day? I probably shouldnt give her a that much veggies at the moment...but should I just give her a bit of carrots today, and move on to others the next, so if she has bad poo, I would know what she cant eat?

If your rabbit is not accustomed to fresh foods, it is a good idea to phase them in slowly. You may want to read the Natural Feeding forum to get ideas about what you can feed.

Vegetables such as carrots are not as desirable as foods like the carrots tops or dandelion greens. Carrots have a high sugar content and should be considered a treat. If you are buying vegetables for your rabbit as opposed to growing your own or gathering weeds for him, it is going to get fairly expensive to provide him with two cups a day, as some of the house rabbit sites suggest.

In summer, my rabbits eat mainly hay and greens and just a little grain, but in winter they rely more heavily on grain and hay because of the scarcity of fresh foods. They still get some, however.

By all means feed hay... It is very good for rabbits and helps to prevent many kinds of GI problems.

Curious though, why is it better to give them the carrot top instead of the whole carrot? If I do give them carrot tops, should it also have the leaves?

The stems and leaves of the carrot are what I meant. :)

Rabbits are herbivores, not vegetarians. Although they can and will eat root crops, grain, tubers and a variety of other vegetables, it is leaves, stems, bark and buds that form the main part of their diet in the wild. A rabbit scrounging in your garden is much more likely to eat the tops of the carrots down to the ground than to nibble on the roots... and it isn't just because it is easier. Carrot plants are essentially the same as the weed Queen Anne's Lace, which is an important plant for wild rabbits in Europe.

Many, many of our common lawn weeds are European imports just like our domestic rabbits are... and these are among the best fresh foods for your rabbits. See the SAFE PLANTS LIST for all the botanical (Latin) names to ensure you are gathering the right thing. A few of the more common lawn weeds that grow almost everywhere in North America are dandelion, plantain, chicory, sow thistle, prickly lettuce, clover and common mallow. All are wonderful for bunnies... but please be sure of accurate identification.

I had a sweet little lop mix my freind named Princess. I tried to get her sold at a yard sale before we moved, so I put her out in the sale. By the time the sale was over, she was a super chill bun. Doesn't even get scared of dogs.

Hey, Cav. Just noticed your location. I grew up in Scarborough, Markham and Eglinton area. It was a village in the country when I was a kid in the 1950's, but the city grew and swallowed it all. :(

hey CAV! that's MY bunny you are showing off. :)

Welcome to the friendly world of rabbittalk. :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm __________<br /><br />

where did you read that Cav?

my loppies get 1/2 cup feed of pellets per day.

to that they get hay every other day, a hay cube or an apple stick on alternative days.
IN the summer.... greens 5 out of Seven days, and hay one day, hay cube a different day.

She is used to bread crusts, apples, dandelions, and celery. Just a bit...she had to share the apple with six others. :)

She'll eat your lettuce, apples (think 1/8 of apple at first), carrot tops, leftover salad, NO ONIONS!, NO CABBAGE family, though I have had success giving one inch of broccoli stem at a time, beet greens and spinach in moderation (watch for red pee), and mustard (not the yellow stuff) but the mustard plants. her mom will reach far out of the cage to get to mustard greens.... :)

Latest posts

Back