Pricing nest boxes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSpruceRabbitry7

Reaction score
I have someone wanting to buy nest boxes from me. I will be making them out of peg board and the dimensions will be 14 1/2inX9in. Can anyone give me an idea on how much to charge him?

Generally with handmade items you charge 2-3 times the price of material costs.

As someone who has made and sold a variety of handmade items on a level where I actually wanted to get paid for my time - the business model formula can vary, but at a minimum it looks something like:

materials X 2 (let's say $4) - doubling the cost pays for indirect cost - nails, replacing tools, electricity, etc. -if you think the overhead is higher, then multiply by 3 or 4 instead, or do actual overhead
plus your hourly rate multiplied by the hours to complete the project (let's say .75 hours @ $12/hour = $9)
That gives you $13
Then you need to add a profit percentage, anywhere from 10-30% seems standard

BlackSpruceRabbitry7":3pka3d56 said:
I have someone wanting to buy nest boxes from me. I will be making them out of peg board and the dimensions will be 14 1/2inX9in. Can anyone give me an idea on how much to charge him?

That's only the dimensions for the foot-print. What's the height, style, etc.

"peg-board"...........define, please.

Pegboard is usually only 1/4" thick with holes every one inch.
OSB.....oriented strand board is a sheathing used in todays'
construction industry. It's 7/16" thick and a much better candidate
for the nest-box body. If one is using "shot" nails.
With peg-board being used only for the bottom.

Depending upon availability of your materials, any price under $10.00
is a give away. I get 90% of my nest box materials for little to nothing
in actual costs. Most are "scraps" off of construction jobs around my area.
I had a "HUGE" stack of pegboard given to my years ago that I'm still using.

Be that as it may, I "won't" build and sell a nest box for under ten bucks.
My time is more valuable than that...........to me.

Grumpy

I have a problem with using "processed" lumber like MDF or OSB. I only used kiln-dried pine boards for my nest boxes. Don't paint them either as bunnies tend to chew on things. I build my own beehives, so I usually have appropriate dimensional lumber around.

Having said that, I just built two nest boxes this morning. New 8' 1x6 cost me around $10 at Lowes. Already had the 4" scrap & hardware cloth. Cutting, drilling pilot holes & assembly for both was under an hour, but I was also taking my time.

So if I were to sell my boxes, I wouldn't price them lower than $20.

MR Nest Boxes 27 July 2014.jpg

Latest posts

Back