Predator Proofing Cages Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helene190

Reaction score
This is my first post on this forum so hopefully this is in the right place. :) I am new to raising rabbits and I have a couple of questions about predator protection. I just recently found some cages on craigslist for a great deal but the bar spacing is 1x4. What should I do to make this better withstand predators? I have 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth I started putting around the base and it seems really secure. How high do I need to make it? I live in the country and probably have a lot of predators including raccoons. :( Any help, tips, or advice would be super appreciated! :)

I would put plastic metal or wood on the outside of a corner. The rabbit will probably hang out here the most as it feels more secure with the solid walls. Also the raccoon cannot reach through them. Then I would put some wire on the other side. Also I'd only use cages with trays below them to keep the coons from reaching up through the bottom, if you can.

A friend has a serious racoon problem, so far they leave the rabbits alone and go for the chickens, maybe because the chickens are less of a threat to the raccoons at night than the rabbits are - which can fight back?

Thats a great idea! I'll definitely do that. Do you know how high the wire should be on the other parts of the cage?

What sort of shelter do you have for the cages?

If it's a very open carport, basically just a roof with legs, then you would need to secure either the cages like WallTenter suggested, or put up a fence (probably an electric fence for coons). Other members like OnaAcreFarm would have more information on securing cages in open structures.

If it's more enclosed, you can secure the structure itself with a couple layers of welded fence wire, 2x4 or 2x3 size holes.

A good temporary solution is to oytfit each cage with a small box, a little bigger than the rabbit, that is hot-glued together (so they don't eat tape). cut a hole in it just large enough for the rabbit to get through, probably about 6" in diameter.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Helene! :welcomewagon:

Make sure your latches are good too. We had a raccoon that opened our cages and ripped the feeders off the cages, we assume in an attempt to get the pellets. Let all the juniors out but I don't think it bothered any of them. We now have the latches so tight that I have to struggle with it and we ran an extra wire around the feeders to help secure them. cage walls are usually 1x2 but reinforcing with hardware cloth (usually 1/2 x1/2) would probably be a good idea. What is the floor?

Oh yeah good point. I use crocks and dishes for all the feed/water, so that if ever something (like my dad's dog) wants to kill a rabbit, they can't just pull off a J-feeder and reach through the hole. ;)

Welcome Helene!

May I ask a few questions?

Where are the cages going to go? Inside? Outside? In a barn or shed?

Are the cages just cages or do they have legs like a hutch?

What are the bottom of the cages like? Wire? Wood? Wire with a drop pan underneath? Wire with a slant board?

If the bottom of the cage is wire, what size?

Miss M":2a209qbw said:

Thank you for your reply! This is what it looks like:
Kansas002_zps3be7a249.jpg

That was a photo from when I was building it, i'll try to get a more recent one soon.
You can see one of the cages im using in the picture. Ill have two that height and two hanging from the roof.

Marinea":2a209qbw said:
Welcome Helene!

May I ask a few questions?

Where are the cages going to go? Inside? Outside? In a barn or shed?

Are the cages just cages or do they have legs like a hutch?

What are the bottom of the cages like? Wire? Wood? Wire with a drop pan underneath? Wire with a slant board?

If the bottom of the cage is wire, what size?

Thank you for your reply! There are so many helpful people here! The cages will be in the structure in the picture. The sides are tarped but otherwise it is fairly open. The bottom wire is 1/2x1/2 and the hanging cages will have a slant board and the bottom ones are open.

Kyle@theHeathertoft":2a209qbw said:
Oh yeah good point. I use crocks and dishes for all the feed/water, so that if ever something (like my dad's dog) wants to kill a rabbit, they can't just pull off a J-feeder and reach through the hole. ;)

Good idea! I will have an automatic watering system but ill remember that about the feeders. :)

stone soup farm":2a209qbw said:
Make sure your latches are good too. We had a raccoon that opened our cages and ripped the feeders off the cages, we assume in an attempt to get the pellets. Let all the juniors out but I don't think it bothered any of them. We now have the latches so tight that I have to struggle with it and we ran an extra wire around the feeders to help secure them. cage walls are usually 1x2 but reinforcing with hardware cloth (usually 1/2 x1/2) would probably be a good idea. What is the floor?

I am using the grate thing that comes with the cage, it seems very sturdy to me. Do you think dog leash clips would be strong enough?
Kyle@theHeathertoft":2a209qbw said:
Nothing new to add, just...welcome to the forum!!! :)
Thank you! :)

Miss M":2a209qbw said:

If it's a very open carport, basically just a roof with legs, then you would need to secure either the cages like WallTenter suggested, or put up a fence (probably an electric fence for coons). Other members like OnaAcreFarm would have more information on securing cages in open structures.

If it's more enclosed, you can secure the structure itself with a couple layers of welded fence wire, 2x4 or 2x3 size holes.

A good temporary solution is to oytfit each cage with a small box, a little bigger than the rabbit, that is hot-glued together (so they don't eat tape). cut a hole in it just large enough for the rabbit to get through, probably about 6" in diameter.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Helene! :welcomewagon:

Thank you! I like your box idea, is the bottom wood too?

Thank you to everyone who replyed! :)

That's going to be a great set up! I am guessing it's going out in the yard somewhere. From the picture, I can't tell if your yard is fenced, but I would be worried about predators if it's not.

An idea to consider, a dog kennel to surround the cage structure. That can be electrified pretty easily as it's such a small space.

Helene190":j5qiihfc said:
Thank you! I like your box idea, is the bottom wood too?

Thank you to everyone who replyed! :)
I was actually just talking about normal cardboard boxes! :p You can get them from pharmacies or Wal-Mart. :)

They will sit on top of them, eat them, dig inside of them, and generally shred them. You may find some bunny berries inside, but most bunnies don't seem to pee inside of them. They will occasionally pee on the outside, though. They make a great toy, and provide a quick place to retreat if something alarms them.

Back